Lawnmower Starting problem and strange workaround

I have a simple Craftsman pushmower that used to start great, but doesn't anymore. It's relatively new and has a primer bulb that you're supposed to press 3 times, and then start it right up. Well, I could pull all day and that won't help me. What I do to get it started is to stand the mower up on it's nose for about 15 seconds. When I lay it flat again, on the first pull, it'll *almost* start, and it generally starts up completely on the second pull.

I'm sure there's a good explanation for this. Anyone know?

Reply to
GACAttak

Crap in the carburettor. Sloshes out of the way with the change in position.

Reply to
bamboo

Might also be a sticking carborettor float that prevents the supply bowl from filling with fuel, unless it is inclined at this angle. If you open the carborettor and check for gas in this bowl, both before and after tilting, you may get your answer. Also, you can try tapping on the carborettor supply bowl, and seeing if that frees up the sticking float.

Sherw> I have a simple Craftsman pushmower that used to start great, but

Reply to
sherwindu