Lawn Tractors/Mowers

Page 4 of 4
Jim wrote: <snip>

We have a 214 JD bought new in 1979. Use it for mowing (half to 2/3 acre), blowing, and tilling. Used to till for neighbors but now live where there is not much gardening. Mowed for a neighbor that had hip replacement one year. Have done a lot of snowblowing for myself and neighbors until a few years ago. (Now have a small driveway.) Have replaced the drive belts once, battery about 4 or 5 times, mower deck bearings and idlers a couple of years ago (I forgot how quiet it was). I hope it lasts another 25 years, unless of course I find a deal like Jim.
I thought I would throw my two centavos in here. I have 3/4 acres that I have been cutting for about five years with a $300 MTD 12.5HP, 38" cut. I have had to work on it quite a bit, especially at the beginning of this grass season. It is in damn good shape now after replacing a support bracket to the deck and rewiring it and replacing a bearing in the deck. I think it was worth the price and I learned how the darn thing operates rather well. So, I guess if you don't like mechanics, it would be the best to buy new one. I am really impressed with the Cub Cadet. They are always the winner's at the tractor pulls around here. The direct drive can't be touched by the belt drives. For the HP, I think they are the best value. If you can find a used one, I would jump on it in a heartbeat.