lawn roots

Hi:
In a healthy lawn, how deep should the roots be? I've been told it is better to soak the lawn every 3rd day or so instead of watering a little every day as that will inhibit the roots from growing deep into the soil.
A related question: Does a lawn start turning brown immediately if the roots have no water or does it take a few days?
thanks,
doug

There are many varieties of grass, some with shallow roots others with deep roots. Frequent small amounts of water is not good for most plants. Grass roots will grow deeper if the lawn is kept at the highest height practical for the particular uses of the lawn and variety.

Most plants will wilt if not given enough water. Grass needs about 1" of water per week, but less with lower temperature. Some varieties of grass are more draught tolerant than others. I do not water my lawns at all. It does turn brown with a 3-week draught, but turns green again. Newly planted grass can not take a draught so easily.

It depends on your grass and your soil. You have to water enough that it gets to the roots, so on an old established lawn a longer watering is needed. On the other hand, when I lived in California, the soil was very sandy and the water just ran through it, so anything but a short watering was wasted.
If you have the time and interest, the best procedure is to water a known time, then take a core sample and see how deep the water got, then adjust your watering time and check again, until you are getting water to just below the deepest roots, then adjust every year when the roots have grown deeper.
irish wrote:

Lawn roots usually grow deeper than the non-woody absorbing roots of trees. Essential elements and water are absorbed to supply the required elements that latter a nutrient can be produced. The tree absorbing roots mostly in the upper four inches of soil.