Lawn questions and garden prep question

Zone 5A

Lawn questions: It's been dry up here. Every lawn is burned out. Should I continue to water? Would this be a good time to get some compost and top-dress the lawn?

Garden prep question: Next year, I will be doing a vegetable garden. Is there something I could do right now to help get the plot ready for next years planting? I will converting a patch of my burned-out lawn to a vegetable garden.

Thank you.

Reply to
JohnnyC

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:42:28 -0400, "JohnnyC" wrote: g'day johnny,

are you in a drought area? if so you should be looking to managing all your water use, and using any on resource wastefull lawn folly would be out of the question.

having said that if you get a management plan going, that should include a target of using all water at least twice more if you can do so, so there may be some grey water available for lawn watering in that case.

the best care for lawns is cut to near maximum height of the mower (around 2+"s) and don't sue a catcher leave the clip on the ground, this will encourage stronger growth that will make the lawn that little more hardy, free of course. it is better to do light trims and mow more often, try to mow before imminent rain or just after rain, as mowing encourages moisture loss from the lawn area.

check our site for how we do our gardens especially the straw bale agrden, ther maybe some ideas there for you, then of course next growing season (for you) you may want to use grey water to keep the gardens going?

our pleasure, please consider a donation if you visit. With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

len gardener