Lawn mower problem

Hi, My 10 year old Sears self-propelled lawn mower will automatic self-propelled without engaging the gear since it'll engaging by it self. And onlt one wheel is turning. i think the gear box is malfunctioning. can I fix it myself? Any suggestions will ne appreciated. Matt

Reply to
Matt

I read this and think clutch. Seems to be a safety concern so fix it soon. Repair cost may be a good down payment for a new machine.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Sears has a good website for ordering parts. Check the cable. You may need to replace the cable ($8) or perhaps the transmission (about $100), which is questionable compared to replacing a 10-year mower.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks for the responses. I appoligize for not being clear about my question.Normally, when I pull start the mower, the fron wheel and blade would not turn and spin unless I engage the gear by push down the gear switch. Now, the blade and only one wheel will turn when I pull start the mower. It seems that gear has already engaged and make the blade and wheel to spin. Gear box looks pretty small and simple but lot of samll parts.Looking at the parts diagram, I saw a small clutch plate. Is this culprit to my problem? My problems are 1. automatic engaging gear. 2. only one front wheel is turning. The gear box is between two front wheel and connecting to the two wheel by two metal rods. I still can use the mower.

I guess the repair cost is quite a lot. Maybe get another one.

Matt

Reply to
Matt