lawn mower linkage question, wheres it go, see picture

This may not be the best newsgroup for this question, I couldn't find a small engine or lawn mower group.

I attempted to do a carb kit on my mower, and forgot how the linkages went, anyone know. I know I didn't remove the spring part attached next to the engine, but for the other end and the 2nd linkage nothing seems to fit right. Here are the photos.

(spring attached where I believe it goes, one end anyway)

(2nd linkage...help)

(another view)

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Spudboy2

I know how they go but I can;t really explain it........But your way off on image number one. The spirng should actually go over the linkage in image #2. In other words your pulling against linkage rods with air vane governor, but once a set amount of air flow is on the governor vane it pulls against the spring and rod. The spring also helps to keep a constant force on the throttle linkage to keep it from surging.

Just take a visit to any place that sells lawn mowers etc as most of the B & S setups are pretty well the same for these engines with that type carb. They also sell a good service manual with illustrations of various linkages used on their motors.

A future hint if uyou dissassemble linkages and such in the future. Take a picture before hand so you can reference it if need be. A picture is worth more than words and is very hlepfull. Or use different colors of model paint and dab a color on each linkage rod end or spring end and the same color in the hole it goes into. This alone is worth the time spent in color coding connections when it comes to reassembly. Different mower makers use different combinations but I think you have a pretty average mower engine here so their service manuala would have the illustrations needed.

YOu can also try an online source that sells parts as lots of times they have an exploded parts break down that can be helpfull. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

From what I could see it's a Tecumseh engine. So don't look at a Briggs and STratton for advice. Some of the Toro lawnmowers in home depot have tecumseh engines so you might have a peek at one of those. I'd also think that someone out there in webland has created a tecumseh page that at least has some pictures on it.

good luck

Robert (not a fan of tecumseh eng> On 22 Sep 2004 22:29:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Spudboy2) wrote: > >

Reply to
Robert Chambers

It is a tecumseh engine. I have a old Briggs motor on another mower I have but it's set up differently. I did try to find a blow up parts page but so far haven't had any luck. After looking at it again the first reply was right the spring should be pulling the lever the other way somehow. I noticed after I posted that I didn't get the air filter back from the lawn mower shop I had it at, when they told me 80.00 to put the carb kit on I figure I could figure it out myself. I think it's still worth doing myself so far, they told me I had about a 1 in 100 chance of getting everything right. Didn't seem to hard to replace one o-ring the primer pump bulb and a little metal thing in the carb, no idea what it's called. Thanks for the replies so far.

Reply to
Spudboy2

Reply to
Robert Chambers

Well I did find a page showing how the linkage goes, put it on and the mower does exactly the same as before (not run) guess I didn't hit the one in a hundred chance after all.

Reply to
Spudboy2

Oh yeah it was the needle thing that I replaced btw. Anyone have an idea what would make a mower just quit. I put in a new plug cleaned out everything with carb cleaner. Will run as long as I spray starting fluid in the carb every 2 seconds, so I guess it's getting a spark.

Reply to
Spudboy2