Lawn mower just fell in the pool...

Seriously! Just wondering if anyone here knows what I should do before I take it to the shop tomorrow.

Thanks

Reply to
Bill Miracle

The first thing I would do is take it out of the pool. I am sure others would agree.

:)

Reply to
Fito

Remove the air cleaner. Tip the thing to get water out of the intake and exhaust. I would crank it over a bunch to flush water out. Then change the oil. If there is water in the oil, plan to change it again soon. Pull the plug, squirt in a teaspoon of oil, and crank it with the sparkplug hole held straight up to distribute the oil on the cylinder walls. Pop the flywheel off and dry out the "points" (whatever they are in your engine) in the cover underneath. Then store it awhile in a warm dry place to dry out.

But then again, I wouldn't take it to the shop.

Bob

do

Reply to
Bob

Bill Miracle wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sure buddy, tell that to the cops when they hit with first degree lawn mower murder.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Bill Miracle declared:

Grass in the pool? You *have* got a problem...

Reply to
Bigjon

If it was a gas mower, I'd be more worried about the gas (and oil) than the grass. Pool filters aren't made for that sort of thing.

If it was an electric mower, let it dry out at least a few days before plugging it in again.

Reply to
Warren

ROTFLMAO!

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Sober-Up?

Hound Dog

Reply to
Hound Dog

Reply to
madgardener

Maybe you should lay off the alcohol.

Drunk driving an automobile is against the law.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

I would take the plug out before cranking. Unless the lawn mower was running when it went in, there's probably not much in the cylinder, but if there is, it will make it very difficult to crank.

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

Thanks for all the serious answers. I didn't removed the air intake or flywheel but did the cylinder and oil pan drain.

Thanks for the great advice!

Reply to
Bill Miracle

If it was running at the time you should bring your wallet!

Reply to
Beecrofter

Reply to
W_D_GreatDivider

Yeah. We're all curious. Is (was) it a self-propelled model or were you not watching what you were doing? Did you go in with it? Don't you have a fence around your pool? (I assume it's not an above-ground pool) Besides, where are you that you were mowing the grass in February? (or did this happen last fall and you're just getting around to thinking about the mowing season?) Maybe you were practicing the mower throw for the redneck olympics?

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

much, you

most

mine that is

cord and

suspect as much

paths

It sounds like the recoil spring is broken. You have to take off the case on the top of the engine that covers it. Sometimes it breaks close to the end and you can grind a couple notches in the spring to re-use it. Otherwise, get a new one.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Is your pool shop open this time of the year ;)

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

I was guessing the kiddies might be involved . . . k For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit

consumer info about tree care, visit

Babberney

Bill Miracle posted on that vast internet thingie:

If it were a walk behind and mine I would......

If you got it out quick enough just empty all the fluids out of it and replace them (gas and oil), remove air cleaner and have some one crank it whilst you spray WD40 into the carb until it starts. I would also put a touch of WD40 on linkages etc....

Disclaimer: No warranty express or implied if it explodes and kills you or your dog we are not responsible, nope not us. Do anything at your own risk. Don't try this at home. Anything you say may be held against you by someone somewhere somehow.

Steve at SELLCOM

Reply to
SELLCOM Tech support