Lawn feeds

After scarifying and spiking my lawns this autumn, what should I feed them with to ensure a healthy and attractive lawn next year? Alistair
Alistair Macdonald;868822 Wrote: > After scarifying and spiking my lawns this autumn, what should I feed > them

I like using 6x pelleted fertiliser. Its organic and you can put it in a spreader or just chuck it about by hand.
www.6-x.co.uk
Jess
--
Jess N

On 11/7/2009 6:42 AM, Alistair Macdonald wrote:

I go to a local hardware store with a little calculator. I buy whatever off-brand pelleted fertilizer they have that provides the greatest amount of nitrogen (first number in the NPK ratios) per dollar. I take the N-number as a percentage, multiply it by the weight of the bag, and divide by the price. This gives me pounds of nitrogen per dollar.
I use this not only on my lawn but also on my shrub and flower beds. While the phosphorus and potassium are important, low nitrogen in the soils is what limits plant growth in much of southern California.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

A slow-release nitrogen fertilizer, any brand, is good. Best to get a soil analysis and pH.

Where you are located will have a bearing on what to fertilize with and when. For more northerly locations with cool season turf grasses, you want a fertilizer with a low nitrogen content for fall application - it the root system you want to encourage growth in now, not the top. Save the high nitrogen formulation for the spring and the primary growing season. For more southerly locations with warm season grasses a more balanced formulation may be appropriate.
And it never hurts to apply a light layer of screened compost over the lawn at any time. It is particularly beneficial after aerating.
On Nov 7, 9:42am, "Alistair Macdonald"

Feed them what is indicated in a SOIL TEST Most times you can obtain one for a very reasonable fee through your extension service.
Thanks to all my advisers. I think I've got a good grip on the subject now.