lawn equipment

I am looking for a specific kind of lawn pressure sprayer. I'm not sure what to call it - the kind of sprayer that has a plastic tank with a hand pump that is used to spray weed killer on lawns. I was browsing the web recently and saw a lawn pressure sprayer that did not need to be pumped to retain pressure. It is relatively small, around

2-3 gallons. Pressure was built up by rolling the sprayer on it's wheels rather than pumping a handle.

I did not bookmark the page and now I can't find it anywhere. Can you find me a source for this product? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Vincent Yang

This site shows two at the bottom.

James

I know a decent amount about lawn equipment since I use it everyday for 4 months a year. An electric weed whacker works as well as a gas powered whacker, the only factor you need to consider (besides environmental) is how often you plan on using it. An electric is better for home use where you have access to plug-ins and use it every week or two. Gas is better for high use, if plug ins are hard to find, or for convenience (avoid the annoying cord). Both types are reliable as the brand you buy, gas powered requires more maitenance with the 2 or 4 cycle motor. Hope that helps you! Trevor.

Reply to
Tre Cool

I'm interested in learning more about zero-turn radius lawn mowers. Anyone out there have experience you could share with me? Specifically, what are the advantages & disadvantages to owning one? Which brands should I look at? What features are a must...?

...Jay

Reply to
Jay

I own a midmount Grasshopper w 52" deck. I can't recall the exact model number at the moment. It's intended for commercial users, but I'm a homeowner with 4 Acres to mow and a fair number of bushes and trees to dodge. It takes about 2.5 hours to mow 4 A, but that's with obstructions. It would of course go quite a bit faster if I didn't have to mow around the trees. I"ve occasionally scanned groups populated by lawn care business people and opinions there are similar to preferences for Fords vs Chevys. It seems like there's a lot of personal preference. Another variable is what makes of mowers dealers in those regions distribute. Grasshoppers and ExMarks are common in some areas and Scags and Hustlers are common elsewhere. One common theme about a year ago though was to avoid ones with a certain model of Kawasaki engines. Since mine is a Briggs, I don't recall the model number fo the Kawasaki enigne that had the problems, but the Kawasakis died very prematurely, just out of warranty and the company initially wasn't admitting a problem..

That said, I like my Grasshopper. About the only thing I don't care for is the paint scheme - I'm not a fan of earth tones. I suspect mine mower deck is a little louder than the competition. Very maneuverable and as with all similar models, they are zero turn. There is some technique to steering them. I found it easy to scuff up the grass and tear out divots, particularly when the lawn is wet or damp even with the relatively smooth turf tires.

It's difficult to know how much is dealer hype and what's truth, but one dealer who sold both Grasshoppers and Bobcats felt that the Bobcats steered better without tearing up the grass. It doesn't help that most of my lot has a little slope. Another dealer felt that the Grasshoppers gave a smoother ride than even the Ferris which had a susupension. In the end I chose a Grasshopper because I'd seen them around our area for about 20 years and they were about $1000 less expensive than the comparable sized ExMark or Gravely. Bobcat, Scag, Hustler and Ferris were also available, but I'd never heard of them before.

It's hard to genuinely evaluate one of these mowers until you've operated one for a season or two. I could probably do that better now than when I bought mine two years ago. Nevertheless, try mowing with each model under consideration, even those that are above your price range so you have a basis for comparison. Evaluate each for smoothness / lack of bumpiness during mowing, ease of keeping it straight, ease of turning, appearance of the cut, loudness of the machine, how much vibration you feel when you're mowing. My preference is for a midmount rather than a front mount mower although I'd probably eventually remember that I had a back end that could swing and hit what's behind me. Another advantage of a midmount is that the midmount mowers are shorter and thus don't take up as much space in your garage.

I hope some of you others who have ZTR mowers respond to the thread. I'm interested in hearing what you think of what you own.

******* Remove NOSPAM to reply *******
Reply to
RWL