Lawn care tools

Page 3 of 3
expounded:

Let's include people who simply don't have the time to do the job right, per whatever their definition is.

Or lets leave it with the original point, which is just as valid - it isn't all that expensive to do your own lawnwork yourself, especially if you don't have the money to pay someone else to do it.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

If you don't have the money, then there's no choice, silly. This is why I don't visit the local Porsche dealership. :)

Turn your back for a second (sigh). Joe, you know what Ann meant. You lacking for something to do? Play nice won't you?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Aww, go ahead... it don't cost to drool. ;) http://tinyurl.com/2fjxph
http://www.porsche.com/all/911gt3rs/flash/default.aspx?language=en-us&market=PCNA&pool=usa&browser=other&instancer3&variant=&section=&bandwidth=dsl&width 05&heightA5
expounded:

http://www.porsche.com/all/911gt3rs/flash/default.aspx?language=en-us&market=PCNA&pool=usa&browser=other&instancer3&variant=&section=&bandwidth=dsl&width 05&heightA5
Damn you, Sheldon! :-)
Back in the mid 70s, I had occasion to drive a half dozen 911s. I worked at a store in Great Neck that did custom audio & alarm systems. One lawyer liked out work so much, all his partners had to have the same systems. They paid extra for us to drive our cars into Manhattan & park, and take their Porsches out to Great Neck. What idiots, letting a couple of lunatics drive their cars.
The Midtown Tunnel looks really interesting at 90+ mph. Only got to do it once, though. Too much traffic the other times.

Sheldon is a contentious ass. Why play with the trollish bastid?
Charlie

The comments in the thread are interesting, particularly about the size of typical lawns. I'm in So. Cal, I timed my lawn mowing one time. From getting off the sofa to back on the sofa, five minutes. I didn't edge that time.
I use a battery mower, really like it, I have a personal problem with small gas engines, especially ones that don't start immediately. Just got a battery string trimmer that I can edge with.
Now I need a battery operated grass puller to get the grass out of the flower beds.

My best friend while growing up used that term for the resting furniture in the living room "sofa". My family still calls it a couch.
If it only takes 5 minutes to mow, I'd wonder why even bother having a lawn. Dave

It was there when I got here and is the standard decor for the neighborhood. I've thought about changing it, but haven't come up with any ideas that I felt would be better.
Dave wrote:

I have only a 1/3 acre in total but a relatively large amount of green space, as I'm the exception in this area of fairly new developments in that less than half of my lot is taken up by the house itself! I use a riding mower for most of it -- even in such a small area without the riding mower I would not be able to keep it up at all. I use a walk-behind for two steeply sloped areas in front of the house (thank God those bits are small!). I don't worry about spraying and feeding, as I mulch the clippings from mowing and have clover growing. The only regular edging I do is along the sidewalks and curb. Those areas would be overrun with bindweed if I didn't edge them and keep the vines and runners cut back. Watering is done with hoses and portable sprinklers, so there is no in-ground irrigation system to maintain. Hedges and beds are managed with weed suppression and mulching, and only need edging once or twice a year to subdue encroachment. It takes me about an hour a week to keep the place looking nice. Routine mower maintenance runs me about $100.00 annually, including pick up and return by the maintenance guy (someone probably thinks this is too much, I think it's fine for a couple of decade-old mowers -- one a rider). It would be much easier to have someone else come and do it for me, but they would invariably kill my clover, "feed the grass" with spray-on nonsense, over-mulch, rake up clippings and waste them in a landfill somewhere, nick the bark on the trees, raise the level of noise pollution with leaf blowers, overwater, gouge my bank account and diminish the quality of my time outdoors.
My grandmother used to call the couch a Chesterfield, and the small couch on the screen porch was a settee.
Pennyaline wrote:

careful, concientiious, and reasonably priced. I originally tried a few I wasn't happy with but then found one that I kept for 14 years: Fabian Lawn Care & Garden Service. Four hard workers showed up, they had top of the line commercial equipment, they worked their way up and down the neighborhood streets all day every day doing about half the houses on each block, They were in and out of each property in 20-30 minutes, and since every property was the same size with very few differences in configuration they charged everyone exactly the same, a smart move, prevented an aura of favoritism and jealousy. Each worker did a different set of tasks, soon as the guy on the riding mower moved to the next ouse the guy with the string trimmer moved right in, etc. For 14 years I didn't need to own any lawn equipment, no replacements, no service, no maintenence, no dangerous gas cans, no labor... averaged $27.50 a month for 14 years. And Fabian did a lot of freebies for his regular customers; he maintained my sprinkler system for only the price of parts (most times there were none), over the years he removed two huge trees and ground the stumps, he removed about 40' of overgrown hedge, about 20 large bushes (more like trees), cut down, hauled away, and ground down those stumps too. I had no complaints in all that time, he never missed a week, even mowed in the rain.. The only thing I paid extra for was chemicals, but was no more than had I bought my own and again he did the labor, My lawn looked as good as any in BH&G. There is no way anyone can take proper care of a typical surburban sized lawn for less than $27.50/wk, just not possible... not unless they do a hit and miss slop job. If someone really enjoys doing their lawn, fine, but I don't want to hear how they save money doing it all themselves, I just won't believe them. There was a time I did my own lawn, didn't take me long to realize it cost me money not to have a lawn service.
Btw, a $100 a year to service those two mowers with pick up and delivery is a real bargain... and because they're properly serviced is why those old machines lasted so long... and I bet they perform flawlessly, start right up... and if ever there's a problem, since you're a regular long time customer I bet they send someone right over to check it out no charge.
It costs about $50 to properly service a push mower for a year, and it takes a couple hours to do it right; needs to be cleaned underneath (mower shop uses a high power washer - you can buy one, more money and another machine to service), really should be power washed after each use, or at least hand scraped, much less strain on a clean mower. The mower shop pays much less for parts so they can make a profit: the average blade is like $10, sometimes a bit more, you need a spark plug, a fuel filter, a muffler, and motor oil... need to oil/grease moving parts too. And some people ignore wobbly worn wheels but those should be replaced. And it's not safe to use the same mower blade more than a year (they warp and fatigue), besides while the old one is taken off for sharpening may as well put on new, it's not worth saving the $10 to sharpen an old blade. Self propelled and riding mowers cost more to service and maintain. And with most people a mower doesn't last more than a few years before it needs replacement, especially not if the lawn is actually mowed regularly (mine was mowed at least 32 times a season). And the typical do-it-yourself mower monkeys shorten the mower's life even more... most start off all gung- ho truly believing they will do all the service by the book, truth is few ever read the book let alone ever even change the oil. Pennyaline is wise to have the professionals do it.
I mow because I'm retired and have time, and I enjoy it, I find driving a tractor very relaxing... and I knew exactly what I was getting into with so much to care for, I didn't want to spend my retirement sitting in a chair looking out a condo window.
Charles wrote:

That's not a lawn, that's Ann's pubic patch.

Must be a Norelco
Javier wrote:

Derryl
snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca