Lawn care tools

Page 2 of 3

Not capable of differenciating between different organic matter, along with the leaves those blowers also loosen/disturb and blow away the season's newly formed humous... they really should only be used on paved areas.... to remove debris lawn areas should only be raked.
Sheldon said:
[...]

Source?
--

Eggs

-Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.
Hmmm.... Large number of postings here... I think I will add to this madness here :)
My lawn consist of six acres. It takes about four hours per week to take care of it. All by my self .... them ha ha he madness of it hmpff :)
Tools for my lawn... The mower: I worn out two cheap riding mowers in three years, each mower cost $2000. My current mower is a $7000 Xmark Zero turn mower that I have had now for six years ..... sweet.. still nice. I take it in each year for tune ups - about $150. The thing is worth more than my truck.
Leaf blower: to clean the mower off, also has other purposes. Air compressor: Use blow gun for cleaning mower - chuck for airing tires. Breaker bar and 1" socket: for blade removal. Blade Holder: for blade removal. Dremil: hand rotary tool with grinding bit to sharpen blades. My favorite tool for many purposes. Fork lift: optional - I do not have one. At work they use these to lift the mowers to clean under under the decks. I have to use a car ramp to get under mine. Trimmer: I prefer a straight one over curved ones.... Jokes go here :)
Items for the user: Muai Jim sun glasses: $300 Great for mowing, keeps the dust out of eyes. Saftey Glasses: $5 for trimming. Paper Mask: Keeps lungs clear, however bad for the image. Noise Canceling Headphones with an iPod: Nice to mow the yard while listening to "Concrete Blonde" :) Base ball cap: Mine is from the "Science Fiction Book Club"
And YES! with all of this garb --- I do look like something from outer space.
Optional -- If you drink beer , I do not, Mower must have cup holders. Does not work well with dust mask.
he he ha ha ah ah ahhhhhhh ......
Enjoy Life ..... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

In article

Thanks for the tip. With six acres I'd hazard a guess your little ear celia are staring to go horizontal.
Perhaps of interest.
Ostriches & Chirping 0:33 Elliott Smith
From a Basement On the Hill Alternative
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

In article

I checked the samples out on iTunes, Alternative is my favorite music type. The band sounds like it would be nice to listen too, while working. No samples of "Ostriches & Chirping" so I can anything about that one song. Concrete Blonde is one of my favorite bands. Their music is very dark. I believe they are cynics like me. A hint of truth behind nonsense. I am surprised that people took out my cynical comments and kept the good advice.
My lungs are clear, My hearing and mind may be going. I keep thinking, I moved to the country to get away from the weirdos and transforming myself into something else? I do not regret the move at all.
Enjoy Life .... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

They should have given you the ball cap to match the mower. John Deere sent me one in the mail .. A big broad brim hat is really beter.
With 6 acers you do need a comercial type mower. I have about 1.5 acers to actually mow and the Residential mower I have does not run fast enough to suit me. Plenty of HP, but probably some government regulation on the speed or the blade speed being too dangerous for the home owner.
I do use the cheep earmuffs to cut down on the noise while mowing and doing the weed eating. Try not to do much weed eating and use Roundup. Also the mask is worth having and so is a good pair of gloves.

True "A big broad brim hat is really better" Baseball cap does not cover the neck on those hot days.
True again: "With 6 acers you do need a comercial type mower". Sad part it was a double $2000 lesson that added to my madness :) The Xmark is fast with some shock resistance. I was able to mow the yard in half the time.The Machine so heavy and wide tires, I find I do not need a lawn roller. Over time the yard got smoother. With the lighter mowers the yard was getting ruffer. I should say any comercial type mower can do the same.
After blowing black dirt out of my nose and irritated lungs a few times taught me to use the dust mask. It works, clean nose and clean lungs. After all it is a big yard.
I am not rich by any means. A home in the country with lots of land seems to cost the about the same as an average home in the city. Taxes are lower, gas usage is higher. Instead of a nice car I went for the lawn mower :)
Again taken out my cynical parts and kept the good advice :)
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Very true... I bought a much nicer house in the country with acerage for about half the price of a postage stamp size surburban lot. The savings from substantially lower property taxes and much lower car insurance pays for my tractor. I don't consider mowing a chore, to me it's actually a luxury... a couple hours driving a tractor is more relaxing than a day at a spa. My tractor is also worth more than my 1991 car.

A handcrank whirlybird spreader for a small lawn (<1/2 acre), a walk-behind for larger areas. Spreads seed, lime, fertilizer (get yourself a soil test, too, so you know what you're doing!).
Ditch the leaf blower unless you're only going to be using it for cleaning gutters (get some plastic pipe and fittings and make an extension nozzle that looks something like this:
------------------------------------leafblower |__ (open end to reach into gutter)
You'll also want to add a bow rake and a leaf rake, and something to work the beds with... my preferred tools are a good spading fork and a hoe, but this is also partially dependent on your soil type. A spade for planting.
Rake your leaves and compost them. You can use the lawnmower to shred them (though it can be kind of tough on your mower engine). If you're going to buy a gas lawnmower, get a 4 cycle engine, not a 2 cycle (you want separate gas and oil, and not to have to mix the gas and oil). Again, for a small lawn, a small electric mower or a push mower may be much more appropriate.
Broom, push or kitchen type. That moves leaves and grass clippings off the sidewalk and driveway without killing your ears and making the neighbors loathe you. Don't use water to wash leaves or grass cuttings off pavement unless you can collect and reuse the water for irrigation.
Find out what your lawngrass is/are and the proper cutting height. Learn to set the mower to the correct height, and how to sharpen the blade(s).
Appropriate, non-slippery soled shoes, preferably steel toed, if you're going to be mowing with a power mower, especially on slopes. Tennis shoes, running shoes, street shoes, sandals, clogs and flip flops are not appropriate for mowing. Hearing protection for power mowers.
Hand grass clippers. Decent small pruning shears, bypass type. I prefer Felco, but there are other good brands. Avoid anvil type.
I prefer a small hatchet for edging to any other tool.
Kay

Nix the blower. Use a mulching mower. After edging, use the mower to mulch the contents and spew back into the yard. Use a push broom to sweep remainder, and dump in middle of the yard and mow again that spot. Be carbon gas aware.
Wheelbarrow, pointed shovel, flat end shovel, spading fork, flat end hoe, triangular pointed end hoe, axe, dethatcher, 3 tine dethatcher, leaf rake, bow rake, possibly a rock bar. You'll figure it out as you go along.
Maintenance of tools. Good set of files for sharpening the blades. Can of WD-40. Steel wool pot scrubbing pads. Brass spray nozzle for garden hose to clean tools with. A good gas can and neck nozzle dispenser with a separate air inlet. Garage organizer for hanging all the tools.
A chain saw to chase off nosy neighbors. A dog to keep you company when admiring the yard. Also something to cuss at when you step in something warm and sticky. A water hose works if caught right away. Both on your shoe and the mashed pile in the yard. Dave

Maybe a book or two?
The only one I've read cover-to-cover is Paul Tukey's Organic Lawn Care Manual ( http://www.ppplants.com/resources/organic_lawn_care_manual/ ). Seemed pretty good (especially the sections on identifying pests and weeds, and relating them to nutrient deficiencies and the like). I'm sure there are other books, including how to apply chemical fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides, if you decide to go that route (applying the wrong thing, at the wrong time of year, or at the wrong dosage, will be useless or worse).
Javier wrote:

If you were using a lawn service why did you invest in all those tools?
Actually without knowing the size, configuration, and composition of your lawn, and what level of appearance you consider acceptible, no one can offer you more than wild speculation... there are lawns and there are LAWNS. If what you have is like a typical 1/4 acre surburban lot and don't mind the unevenness and wheel marks left by a rotary push mower, and don't have much border to edge, and don't much care about weeds, and have 2-3 hours each week to spare then by all means do your own lawn. But you still won't save any money. The typical lawn service on Long Island, NY (where lawns are king) charges like $30/wk for the lawn I described... you can't purchase, maintain, and fuel the equipment for $30/wk. Fuel these days costs more than mere pennies. Even a dinky generic push mower runs like $300 and costs like $50 to maintain each season, and lucky if it lasts a season before it doesn't start so good and the wheels fall off. Edgers cost as much but when not abused last a long time, same with blowers and string trimmers, but still need maintenance and fuel. Blades need replacement, mufflers need replacement, oil needs changing, 2 cycle fuel needs mixing... and fuel can't be saved very long, and even string trimmer string costs. And all this equipment needs through and regular cleaning (more time), hasta take at least a half hour to clean under a push mower, gotta wait till it cools first too. And you need a place to store it all. And unless you have a half acre or two I'm not even gonna go into riding mowers and lawn tractors. And mulching mowers are fine, but you can't have a nice looking lawn if you mulch every cut... when you mulch you need to know the seeding habits of every plant composing your lawn including the weeds. I mulch all my cuts because I have what's known around here as a country lawn, whatever grows. But I mow ten acres of lawn every week, and my mulching mower cuts a 7 foot swarth, and still takes me all day just for the large areas. For the smaller areas and edges I have a smaller mower (54"), and I have a push mower for small spaces, and a string trimmer, and a blower, and all kinds of hand tools. Mowing large areas takes large blocks of time, and even larger blocks of cash to buy the large equipment. Anything over a half acre you really need a riding mower, and even the typical Home Depot type garden tractors fitted with a mower can handle no more than like 2-3 acres.... and those toy r us thingies will be lucky to last two seasons before they need replacement... those tiny gasolene air cooled engines just can't handle all those hours, not even if your ground is level and you don't weigh much... struggling up a slight grade with a 200 pounder on its back and trying to mow at the same time is beyond its ability. Those things you see lined up in front of the big box hardware emporiums are all toys.
It doesn't pay for me to maintain my equipment myself, but still I bet it costs me more for servicing than the average surburbanite pays their lawn service. I only wish I could find a lawn service, but no such thing exists around here for the size lawn I have.
Paragraphs of utter trip snipped
Anyone who spends $50 a year to maintain a lawnmower obviously bought the wrong mower. And anyone who thinks it makes economic sense to pay a lawn service to do something that is so easy obviously doesn't have much sense. Aall you need, a rake, a tarp, a push broom, maybe a spreader, and a mower. Hardly the onerous expense described by Shelly.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

you forgot "willingness".......................lawn service sounds great to me!

Fine, as long as you're willing to pay. That's the point, Sheldon is claiming it's more economical to pay someone - around here that'd be $35 a week or so for lawn mowing, definitely not anything I would want to spend my money on when it takes me about 45 minutes to mow my whole yard.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

How lucky, all your lawn equipment was a gift and you don't pay for fuel because you slink out after midnight to siphon petrol.

Show us this yard of yours... it's either a postage stamp or your idea of a lawn is a something only a goat would appreciate.
And who services your mower... you forgot to list your most important piece of equipment, knee pads.

And you can't discuss anything without descending into vulgarity, a sign of a truly weak mind.
You are truly a waste of time. No more. Buh-bye.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Saint Ann! <G>

You keep promising... but you can't resist my charms!
Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
expounded:

I'll mention your exclusive statement to my ancient neighbor, who uses a lawn service because she can't walk well any more.
"Anyone" indeed.

Yea, well, anyone who wasn't looking to be nasty would also realize that generalizations always exclude special cases. You can go right ahead and feel superior. For that matter, I mow my elderly neighbor's yard for her - for free.