Lawn care tools

Dave wrote:

I have only a 1/3 acre in total but a relatively large amount of green space, as I'm the exception in this area of fairly new developments in that less than half of my lot is taken up by the house itself! I use a riding mower for most of it -- even in such a small area without the riding mower I would not be able to keep it up at all. I use a walk-behind for two steeply sloped areas in front of the house (thank God those bits are small!). I don't worry about spraying and feeding, as I mulch the clippings from mowing and have clover growing. The only regular edging I do is along the sidewalks and curb. Those areas would be overrun with bindweed if I didn't edge them and keep the vines and runners cut back. Watering is done with hoses and portable sprinklers, so there is no in-ground irrigation system to maintain. Hedges and beds are managed with weed suppression and mulching, and only need edging once or twice a year to subdue encroachment. It takes me about an hour a week to keep the place looking nice. Routine mower maintenance runs me about $100.00 annually, including pick up and return by the maintenance guy (someone probably thinks this is too much, I think it's fine for a couple of decade-old mowers -- one a rider). It would be much easier to have someone else come and do it for me, but they would invariably kill my clover, "feed the grass" with spray-on nonsense, over-mulch, rake up clippings and waste them in a landfill somewhere, nick the bark on the trees, raise the level of noise pollution with leaf blowers, overwater, gouge my bank account and diminish the quality of my time outdoors.

My grandmother used to call the couch a Chesterfield, and the small couch on the screen porch was a settee.

Reply to
Pennyaline

I'll mention your exclusive statement to my ancient neighbor, who uses a lawn service because she can't walk well any more.

"Anyone" indeed.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" expounded:

Yea, well, anyone who wasn't looking to be nasty would also realize that generalizations always exclude special cases. You can go right ahead and feel superior. For that matter, I mow my elderly neighbor's yard for her - for free.

Reply to
Ann

Let's include people who simply don't have the time to do the job right, per whatever their definition is.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" expounded:

Or lets leave it with the original point, which is just as valid - it isn't all that expensive to do your own lawnwork yourself, especially if you don't have the money to pay someone else to do it.

Reply to
Ann

If you don't have the money, then there's no choice, silly. This is why I don't visit the local Porsche dealership. :)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That's not a lawn, that's Ann's pubic patch.

Must be a Norelco

Reply to
Sheldon

Turn your back for a second (sigh). Joe, you know what Ann meant. You lacking for something to do? Play nice won't you?

Reply to
Billy

Pennyaline wrote:

(those hills), but still there are lawn service companies that are careful, concientiious, and reasonably priced. I originally tried a few I wasn't happy with but then found one that I kept for 14 years: Fabian Lawn Care & Garden Service. Four hard workers showed up, they had top of the line commercial equipment, they worked their way up and down the neighborhood streets all day every day doing about half the houses on each block, They were in and out of each property in 20-30 minutes, and since every property was the same size with very few differences in configuration they charged everyone exactly the same, a smart move, prevented an aura of favoritism and jealousy. Each worker did a different set of tasks, soon as the guy on the riding mower moved to the next ouse the guy with the string trimmer moved right in, etc. For 14 years I didn't need to own any lawn equipment, no replacements, no service, no maintenence, no dangerous gas cans, no labor... averaged $27.50 a month for 14 years. And Fabian did a lot of freebies for his regular customers; he maintained my sprinkler system for only the price of parts (most times there were none), over the years he removed two huge trees and ground the stumps, he removed about 40' of overgrown hedge, about 20 large bushes (more like trees), cut down, hauled away, and ground down those stumps too. I had no complaints in all that time, he never missed a week, even mowed in the rain.. The only thing I paid extra for was chemicals, but was no more than had I bought my own and again he did the labor, My lawn looked as good as any in BH&G. There is no way anyone can take proper care of a typical surburban sized lawn for less than $27.50/wk, just not possible... not unless they do a hit and miss slop job. If someone really enjoys doing their lawn, fine, but I don't want to hear how they save money doing it all themselves, I just won't believe them. There was a time I did my own lawn, didn't take me long to realize it cost me money not to have a lawn service.

Btw, a $100 a year to service those two mowers with pick up and delivery is a real bargain... and because they're properly serviced is why those old machines lasted so long... and I bet they perform flawlessly, start right up... and if ever there's a problem, since you're a regular long time customer I bet they send someone right over to check it out no charge.

It costs about $50 to properly service a push mower for a year, and it takes a couple hours to do it right; needs to be cleaned underneath (mower shop uses a high power washer - you can buy one, more money and another machine to service), really should be power washed after each use, or at least hand scraped, much less strain on a clean mower. The mower shop pays much less for parts so they can make a profit: the average blade is like $10, sometimes a bit more, you need a spark plug, a fuel filter, a muffler, and motor oil... need to oil/grease moving parts too. And some people ignore wobbly worn wheels but those should be replaced. And it's not safe to use the same mower blade more than a year (they warp and fatigue), besides while the old one is taken off for sharpening may as well put on new, it's not worth saving the $10 to sharpen an old blade. Self propelled and riding mowers cost more to service and maintain. And with most people a mower doesn't last more than a few years before it needs replacement, especially not if the lawn is actually mowed regularly (mine was mowed at least 32 times a season). And the typical do-it-yourself mower monkeys shorten the mower's life even more... most start off all gung- ho truly believing they will do all the service by the book, truth is few ever read the book let alone ever even change the oil. Pennyaline is wise to have the professionals do it.

I mow because I'm retired and have time, and I enjoy it, I find driving a tractor very relaxing... and I knew exactly what I was getting into with so much to care for, I didn't want to spend my retirement sitting in a chair looking out a condo window.

Reply to
Sheldon

A fertilizer spreader and a Pump pressure sprayer for weed control.

Derryl

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
Derryl Killan

Not sure what kind of rake you're looking for, but try Green thumb/Green Arrow. they have lots of stuff, several locations in the LA area.

Reply to
Charles

Hmmm.... Large number of postings here... I think I will add to this madness here :)

My lawn consist of six acres. It takes about four hours per week to take care of it. All by my self .... them ha ha he madness of it hmpff :)

Tools for my lawn... The mower: I worn out two cheap riding mowers in three years, each mower cost $2000. My current mower is a $7000 Xmark Zero turn mower that I have had now for six years ..... sweet.. still nice. I take it in each year for tune ups - about $150. The thing is worth more than my truck.

Leaf blower: to clean the mower off, also has other purposes. Air compressor: Use blow gun for cleaning mower - chuck for airing tires. Breaker bar and 1" socket: for blade removal. Blade Holder: for blade removal. Dremil: hand rotary tool with grinding bit to sharpen blades. My favorite tool for many purposes. Fork lift: optional - I do not have one. At work they use these to lift the mowers to clean under under the decks. I have to use a car ramp to get under mine. Trimmer: I prefer a straight one over curved ones.... Jokes go here :)

Items for the user: Muai Jim sun glasses: $300 Great for mowing, keeps the dust out of eyes. Saftey Glasses: $5 for trimming. Paper Mask: Keeps lungs clear, however bad for the image. Noise Canceling Headphones with an iPod: Nice to mow the yard while listening to "Concrete Blonde" :) Base ball cap: Mine is from the "Science Fiction Book Club"

And YES! with all of this garb --- I do look like something from outer space.

Optional -- If you drink beer , I do not, Mower must have cup holders. Does not work well with dust mask.

he he ha ha ah ah ahhhhhhh ......

Enjoy Life ..... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Thanks for the tip. With six acres I'd hazard a guess your little ear celia are staring to go horizontal.

Perhaps of interest.

Ostriches & Chirping 0:33 Elliott Smith

From a Basement On the Hill Alternative

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

They should have given you the ball cap to match the mower. John Deere sent me one in the mail .. A big broad brim hat is really beter.

With 6 acers you do need a comercial type mower. I have about 1.5 acers to actually mow and the Residential mower I have does not run fast enough to suit me. Plenty of HP, but probably some government regulation on the speed or the blade speed being too dangerous for the home owner.

I do use the cheep earmuffs to cut down on the noise while mowing and doing the weed eating. Try not to do much weed eating and use Roundup. Also the mask is worth having and so is a good pair of gloves.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Sheldon is a contentious ass. Why play with the trollish bastid?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

How lucky, all your lawn equipment was a gift and you don't pay for fuel because you slink out after midnight to siphon petrol.

Show us this yard of yours... it's either a postage stamp or your idea of a lawn is a something only a goat would appreciate.

And who services your mower... you forgot to list your most important piece of equipment, knee pads.

Reply to
Sheldon

Sheldon expounded:

And you can't discuss anything without descending into vulgarity, a sign of a truly weak mind.

You are truly a waste of time. No more. Buh-bye.

Reply to
Ann

I checked the samples out on iTunes, Alternative is my favorite music type. The band sounds like it would be nice to listen too, while working. No samples of "Ostriches & Chirping" so I can anything about that one song. Concrete Blonde is one of my favorite bands. Their music is very dark. I believe they are cynics like me. A hint of truth behind nonsense. I am surprised that people took out my cynical comments and kept the good advice.

My lungs are clear, My hearing and mind may be going. I keep thinking, I moved to the country to get away from the weirdos and transforming myself into something else? I do not regret the move at all.

Enjoy Life .... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

True "A big broad brim hat is really better" Baseball cap does not cover the neck on those hot days.

True again: "With 6 acers you do need a comercial type mower". Sad part it was a double $2000 lesson that added to my madness :) The Xmark is fast with some shock resistance. I was able to mow the yard in half the time.The Machine so heavy and wide tires, I find I do not need a lawn roller. Over time the yard got smoother. With the lighter mowers the yard was getting ruffer. I should say any comercial type mower can do the same.

After blowing black dirt out of my nose and irritated lungs a few times taught me to use the dust mask. It works, clean nose and clean lungs. After all it is a big yard.

I am not rich by any means. A home in the country with lots of land seems to cost the about the same as an average home in the city. Taxes are lower, gas usage is higher. Instead of a nice car I went for the lawn mower :)

Again taken out my cynical parts and kept the good advice :)

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

Very true... I bought a much nicer house in the country with acerage for about half the price of a postage stamp size surburban lot. The savings from substantially lower property taxes and much lower car insurance pays for my tractor. I don't consider mowing a chore, to me it's actually a luxury... a couple hours driving a tractor is more relaxing than a day at a spa. My tractor is also worth more than my

1991 car.
Reply to
Sheldon