Lawn care tools

Page 1 of 3
Next year I will be taking care of the lawn rather than using a local lawn services, I simply can't afford it any more. Besides my lawn mower, edge trimmer and leaf blower are there any other tools that I need in order to keep my lawn healthy? I leave in North Eastern, NJ.
Javier

Some good hand weeding tools. And, don't be one of those people who chases one leaf around the yard for 3 hours with the blower, thereby making your neighbors want to put a bullet in your head. You could replace the silly thing with a good quality push broom.

Thanks,
So basically ditch the blower idea and use a push broom to get the fall leaves to the curb so the town can pick them up?
Thanks,
Javier

chases
your
Or, run over them with your mower, mulching blade is best, and return the nutrients to the soil like Nature does. Set the wheels high in front and low in back. If you have a side discharge mower, blow the leaves toward the center, then reverse when the distance of the discharge throws it toward the edge.

No. You use a rake for the leaves. I can move leaves twice as fast as my neighbor, who's got a leaf blower, and I ain't no spring chicken. Look in your phone book for a REAL garden center, and tell them you need a rake for leaves.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

My electric blower makes little noise but while OK for driveway and walk, is not that great on the lawn.
But my suggestion is that she needs a fertilizer spreader.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:51:58 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

[...]
I want a rake with fine thin metal teeth like my gardener has. But I haven't seen one anywhere around -- Home Despot, OSH, etc. Any sources not too far, LA Area?
Tx
Persephone
<Persephone> wrote in message >>

A real garden center would be the place to look. Open the yellow pages.
Or, here's a real stretch: Ask the gardener where he got his.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:11:59 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Not sure what kind of rake you're looking for, but try Green thumb/Green Arrow. they have lots of stuff, several locations in the LA area.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:11:59 -0700, Persephone wrote:

Still looking for above-described rake with fine, thin metal teeth.
Any sources around L.A.?
Tx
<Persephone> wrote in message >>>

Where have you looked so far?
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:42:07 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I wonder why anyone would need a leaf rake in L.A. The few deciduous trees that grow there do not grow well.

They're useful for raking other plant debris besides leaves.
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 23:05:46 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

And I have "other plant debris" out the kazoo! Neighbors' bushes overhang my fence and drop leaves. My (former) bamboo used to shed those little sheathes all over the place! And on & on.
Persephone
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 19:42:07 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

See above- OSH and Home Despot.
<Persephone> wrote in message >>>>>

That's what I thought. Why not some real garden stores, instead of places like HD that sell tools for amateurs? Open the yellow pages and let your fingers do the walking. If you don't have a phone book, go here:
http://www.yellowpages.com/Los-Angeles-CA?from=Branding-cityyp-los-angeles-yellow-pages
Persephone said:

http://garden-supply.hometownhardware.com/Leaf_and_bamboo_rakes-ssd67442-p1-l1-t1-Sv-dirasc-PP0.html
Take yer pick.
--

Eggs

Are part-time band leaders semi-conductors?
from Persephone contains these words:

Over here those are called a grass rake or lawnrake, if that helps the search.
Janet
JoeSpareBedroom said:

Guaranteed, you can't move leaves faster than a backpack blower, using only a rake.
--

Eggs

Do stars clean themselves with meteor showers?

That's not exactly correct in all cases.
My husband can rake the leaves in our yard, thoroughly & efficiently, much faster than he can clean the yard with the backpacker blower. Honestly, he rakes faster than anyone I've ever seen.
I guess it depends on who you are, and what you are used to.