Lawn care career?

I have been in the retail nursery trade for 22 years. I have been thinking lately about a career specializing in lawn care. Anyone reading do this for a living? I'm interested in diagnosing lawn problems and the corrective actions, disease prevention, lawn maintenance, as opposed to lawn cutting. Thanks.

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

You might find this website interesting:

Luck, Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey K. Judd

Not for a living, but I take care of two neighbor's lawns at $200 a month each on a one year contract. That includes fertilizer, liming (if needed), weed treatments, overseeding, trimming, mulching, removing leaves, mowing and sweeping. I bought a $500 blower last year and that reduced the workload. The nice thing is that I don't need transportation. I keep turning down more requests, so there is a definite need for this service. Sometimes I will cut down a tree, with no charge as long as I can keep the wood (I build furniture). I enjoy doing lawn care and constantly get compliments.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks Jeff. I will check out that site. Regards, Bob.

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes in article dated 15 Dec 2004

08:43:18 -0800:

I have a next-door neighbor who does this, and seems to make a pretty good living. I think he works for one of those big lawn-chemical companies.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon

How big are the lawns and how long does it take you to mow each? Do you use noisy or quiet machines?

Eric

Reply to
Eric G

They are about 1/3 acre each, both have hills. The mowing takes about

3.5 hours for both lots with a walk-behind self-propelled mower. I can get it done in 3 hours without a break, but that's a tough call in the summer heat. Most equipment (mower, leaf blower, trimmer, chipper/shredder) is gasoline engines. I use hearing protection. Fertilizing, applying lime, treating weeds, mulching and overseeding are quiet tasks.
Reply to
Phisherman

I see. Thanks very much!

Eric

Reply to
Eric G
3.5 hours to mow two .33 acre lots? and you charge each 200/month for your lawn care service?

WHy do you live, I want a piece of that acti>>

Reply to
Shrek