Lavender seeds

Does Lavender produce seeds?
My brother wants some of the Lavender I have in my garden. Could I cut some of the plant off from somewhere to grow in a pot to produce more plants?
--
skippysje

skippysje;963456 Wrote: > Does Lavender produce seeds?

> some of the plant off from somewhere to grow in a pot to produce more > plants? Lavender produces copious seeds, and if you collect them and keep them indoors over the winter, they are easy to germinate in seed trays in the spring. Whilst I have known fallen seeds to germinate in cracks in the paving, I've not known them germinate in the bed where I grow them.
They are also fairly easy to propagate from cuttings. I think would be a good time of year to have a go. Google "softwood cuttings".
--
echinosum

On 7/4/12 5:24 AM, skippysje wrote:

Depending on the variety, cuttings might be best.
I have 'Goodwin Creek Grey', which is a hybrid -- a cross between French and wooly lavender (Lavandula lanata dentata). Hybrids do not propagate true to their parents from seed. On the other hand, a non-hybrid might propagate true from seed if no other species of lavender is nearby.
Why take the risk? Propagating from cuttings is very easy with lavender.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see