Latest Frost on Record!

Here in Western Mass, just south of the VT/NH border I am looking out at a garden full of blooming dahlias, marigolds, impatiens, begonia, and even a reblooming fancy shasta daisy that burst out in flowers this week.
It's two days after the latest frost date ever recorded and we have had no frost. We may get a frost tonight--the weather reports are being coy--but if we don't get one tonight, it could be another week until we get one.
We had 14 inches of rain here last week, too. Ten on Saturday and 4 the rest of the week. It left a bunch of people homeless and took out the road I use to visit my mom in Keene.
The leaves are coming down right on schedule, but there was almost no color this year because of the combination of rain and no frost.
Is frost late in your neck of the woods? --Jenny

I don't expect it until mid-December or January. We didn't have any last year.
I live where it's warm.
On 10/21/05 7:02 PM, in article x8-dncqbm-0H7sTenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net,

I had my first last night in southern NH; had to run the defroster this AM. I cut all my daylily scapes and brought them in to see if I can coax the last few buds to open.
Cheryl

Nothing here yet, although it's supposed to get down into the low 30's tonight.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann said:

Time to start checking the frost and freeze warnings every evening:
http://www.weather.com/maps/activity/homeandgarden/usfrostandfreezeadvi sories_large.html?
http://tinyurl.com/aorlf
Be advised, any time the night is clear, the winds are calm and the dewpoint is 32 or below, even when the predicted low is 40 degrees, you might get frost in low-lying areas. The back end of my yard is slightly lower than the surrounding properties and tends to frost. Absolutely worry about frost when a chill day clears dramatically near sunset.

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Everything made it through last night except for some of the blossoms on the impatiens on the NW corner of the house. Looks like we might have Halloween Dahlias after all. Most interesting, some very tall yellow dahlias that only produced two or three flowers all season, have been blooming their heads off for the past week. I counted 12 blossoms yesterday!
OTOH, the thick-stemmed yellow cosmos I posted about a while back never bloomed at all, so late blooming is not their problem. They're just some kind of cosmos deadbeats. <g>.
Weird!
--Jenny
http://www.geocities.com/lottadata4u/ Type 2 Diabetes info http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/ Low Carb info
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

yet, still no frost. I already pulled the tomatoes except for one yellow pear. It is still kicking and in fact yesterday I picked half a pound of tomatoes. In the last four years, first frost was always before oct. 10.
simy1 said:

trouble going back to sleep. It clouded up for a while and I noticed that the temperature actually went *up* after 2am... even though the skies were clearing at sunset and the dewpoint was 32.
I'm bringing in the squash and pumpkins today, I think. We pulled the tomatoes a couple of weekends ago because they were starting to look blighted (and the weather was nice enough still to make it enjoyable).

down to 39o last night but no frost expected in Milwaukee near the lake for the next week. good think cause DH is down in Florida visiting his parents this week (yup in Sarasota hope Wilma doesnt move up the coast) and I gotta move my plants inside. dont know WHAT I would do as some are quite heavy. Ingrid
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3 www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Zone 5 in the midwest (Lincoln, NE)
We had just a light hit-or-miss frost October 5 (could see some damage on canna leaves and the yellow flowered bedding plant by the mailbox but the tomatoes and peppers didn't show any).
Normal first frost date is Oct 10.
Finally Saturday night/Sunday morning we had our first real killing frost. Bye bye tomatoes, peppers, and bedding plants.
Richard