Large Hosta Suggestions

Greetings all from zone 7 - (6 weeks till spring) - Maryland

A question regarding hosta's. 'She who must be obeyed' mentioned that she's tired of the green and cream vaiaged hosta's that were adorning the walkway for the past 10 years...(btw, I planted those myself, fed them, divided them and developed my green thumb with them... there's a little proudness over here).

So, there are several spots in the landscape where a very large specimen Hosta would live nicely. Large meaning 3 foot tall, by about 6' around..... I can't remember the name of the Blue Hosta's that grow that large, but are there other suggestions ??

Where would be a good place to purchase these plants Mail order works for me, as none of the local Big Boxes or Garden centers have much of a selection, except for the usual plants....

It's 6 weeks till spring.....I need to get out and do something for the garden.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated...

Thanks !!

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Elegans comes to mind.

May be cheaper some where else. White flower does have other blue hosta's use them as a visual plant dictionary.

Bill who likes hosta mixed with caladiums especially white christmas.

Reply to
Bill

These are my suggestions. The links are not an endorsement of the supplier, just convenient illustrations and write-ups.

Really blue and big:

Blue Angel

Umbrellas
Tall and blue:

Krossa Regal

Really big and tending toward chartreuse:

Sum and substance

Not quite as big as the above, but large and lovely (BONUS! fragrant flowers):

Guacamole (blue w/green subtle variegation)

Glass (blue with chartreuse-to-gold variegation)
last two are favorites of mine.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

I'll add Honey Bells to the list. ( you can google on your own) Large and very rich green tone here in NH. And quite fragrant

And I may have to add Stained Glass to my garden. That is lovely.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Yes, isn't that Stained Glass just gorgeous!

Reply to
Andrew Ostrander

There is only a handful of plants I want to add, and you added one.

Of course, I have to wait and see how much shade is left now the December ice storm took three big branches from over my hosta garden

Cheryl Isaak

I would add white Christmas to your hosta's. Brightens up dark areas and I treat them as annuals here.

A lot cheaper elsewhere . Like 5 for $10.

Bill

Reply to
Bill