Lantana blackened leaves

Can someone please help. I've only recently discovered lantana and just love how it brings so many butterflies and hummingbirds around. For the first time I've purchased a lantana plant already potted (instead of planting in my own soil). Not that that should matter, I don't think.

Anyway, our weather has been a little strange for a New Jersey summer. Lots of cool nights and 70's days. I've been watering daily. And noticed that the leaves are all edged in black and the bottom of the pot is filled with wilted leaves.

Was hoping that someone can help me to stop this decay before it kills my plant. It's so late in the season, I don't think I'll be able to find any more for sale.

Help please. Thanks so much! Sue

Reply to
Sue.McNally

Sue, I also live in NJ. Can that plant swim? I would pull it out, get it new dirt and rinse off the old soil and repot it of if that is a perennial, plant it and water less. Maybe someone else has better ideas. Let us know how it's doing in a week or so.

Reply to
betsyb

I agree with this advice. Lantanas like well-drained soil and prefer to dry out a bit between waterings. If, when you repot the plant, you find that it is rootbound, make a few deep cuts in the root ball with a sharp knife before replanting in a good potting mix. Easy on the water until it gets hot and sunny. Lantanas are resilient and I'll bet yours will recover and start growing quickly in a few weeks. I have a few lantanas in pots and bring them indoors for the winter where they do surprisingly well in a sunny window. My favorite cultivar is 'Dallas Red'.

Some lantana cultivars are self-sterile and will bloom freely all season without deadheading. If you find yours producing berries, regular removal of the spent blossoms before they go to seed will keep your plant in bloom continuously.

One thing to keep in mind when growing lantanas is that many plants do not tolerate being planted close to them very well due to plant growth inhibitors released into the soil.

Reply to
Amos Nomore

Sue I went looking to see where they grew easily outside. Not here. Florida might be better. They don't tolerate our winters.

Reply to
betsyb