Landscape question

I have a question about mulching. I moved into an old house a year ago. It has a flower bed on both sides as well as the front. I would like to put something down to retain moister.
Last year it was very dry and this year so far we have had very little rain. I was told that putting mulch against the house was a bad idea as it will draw termites. This house had little termite damage in the past. And before we moved in we had a termite treatment done.
Are there alternatives that I can do?
Thanks,
Bill
You don't have to mulch with wood right up against the house. I like to use thick layers of newspaper and then put mulch, bark, etc over it

Thanks for replying Nicole. I will keep this in mind.

The soil level (including the mulch) should be 6 to 8 inches below the level of the siding.

USDA Zone 8
On Tue, 02 May 2006 03:57:19 GMT, "Travis M."

That would not be a problem there. I have not measured it but it is at least 16 to 20 inches.