Lamium: to mulch or not?

I'm pretty much a beginner, south-central PA, zone 6/7.

I've got a hill that's a bear to mow, so we're working on bringing ground cover in on it. Three zones: ivy, lamium, vinca.

My first (middle) area was for the lamium, kindly donated by a friend of the family. I used roundup on the area, which is ~ 20' x 20', and planted a hundred or so vinca plants.

Well, I've had a major-league crabgrass explosion, and it looks terrible, not to mention the fact that the lamium is now competing. I wanted to save myself some work, and now I'm killing myself weeding.

So, that being said, what to do?

I've thought about mulching with newspaper & grass clippings, or maybe just the clippings alone, but my mother says that the lamium needs to arch over and hit real dirt in order to spread.

Asking for second opinions on how to manage this mess till it grows in some more.

'Been lurking for a while, thanks for lots of good reading & advice.

Reply to
Jack Straw