Ladybugs and earthworms?

Hi all,

Have a little pest problem and a poor soil problem in my little flower garden. I want to buy some ladybugs and earthworms, I just have no idea where I can buy them in North Jersey. I'm in the Clifton, NJ area. Can anyone recommend a place where I can buy them around here?

Thanks

Reply to
Mike C#

If you're looking local do a Google search using your town. You can also buy both by mail and have them shipped in.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

What I've been doing all last night and this morning... I found a place that sells ladybugs after a couple dozen phone calls (Richfield Farms) but I'm still having trouble finding worms. I'll probably find a bait & tackle shop and call it a day :)

Thanks

Reply to
Mike C#

A few years ago my lady bought ladybugs in our local Lawn & Garden Center. You might think about giving a neighbors kid a few bucks for a can of worms.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I thought the worms would be MUCH easier to find than ladybugs!

Reply to
Mike Robinson

Finally found them - at an outdoor sports supply store a few towns over :) The guy looked at me kind of strange when I walked out with 400 worms, probably thought I was planning to take the 5th Fleet out on a fishing trip :)

Thanks

Reply to
Mike C#

LOL. Thanks, but I'm in North New Jersey here. The neighbor's kids don't have any worms... probably because they're too hard to dig out under all the concrete and toxic waste :)

Reply to
Mike C#

Mike, what sort of environment are you making for worms in your garden? Do you have a compost heap that gets spread around your gardens? Do you use sprays and synthetic fertilisers alot?

rob

Reply to
George.com

Thanks for the chuckle. Hell you're only a couple hours from me. Come on up and dig in my huge compost pile. You'll find all the worms you want - and our Dalmation will help you locate them.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I'm hoping the worms will make a better environment out of the garden. The soil here is pretty horrible, highly compacted and has a lot of sand on the surface. I spent last weekend chopping up the top 12 inches of soil and mixing in about 200 pounds of topsoil. The I put in the flowers and watered the heck out of it. I finished off with a 3 inch layer of mulch to help hold in some of the moisture. I'm not trying to farm worms per se, I just want them to help loosen up the soil a bit. So far I haven't used any fertilizers or compost. I live in an apartment complex, so the neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate the compost heap :)

Reply to
Mike C#

most likely stuff you know already, however for the record, compost heaps & dung heaps both provide breeding grounds for worms that you can easily spread around your garden to transplant worms. Leaving organic matter on your gardens, mulched grass on your lawn etc will provide feeding grounds for the worms. Using organic fertilisers will encourage them to travel to the source of food and multiply. My opinion (others may disagree), using weed or pest sprays and synthetic fertilisers on a regular basis will deter worms. If used, use sparingly. Evidence of good worm numbers points to good functioning soil and the soil food web. From there drainage, compaction etc will improve.

rob

Reply to
George.com

Appreciate it. I'm a little limited in what I can do here in the apartment, but I do want to make a "worm-friendly" environment... without offending my neighbors with the sights and scents of course :)

Reply to
Mike C#

A lady bug landed on me about ten minutes ago...if I knew, I would have mailed it to you.

Reply to
jtees4

I would have sent you the postage :)

Reply to