Labournum tree (golden chain tree)

I picked up some seeds from a seed swap recently and would like some information on growing from seed. Has anyone had sucess growing them from seed. I am in zone 5b. Thanks

-- Dana www3.sympatico.ca/lostmermaid

Reply to
Dana Schultz

According to Dirr:

" Seed should be scarified in sulfuric acid for 15 to 30 minutes... Seeds of LABURNUM contain an alkaloid called cytisine, which can be fatal to children and adults. This compound is contained in all parts of the plant. Supposedly, one small seed can prove toxic to a small child. Extreme care should be exercised when using this plant in a public area."

Reply to
David J Bockman

I already know about the poison part. So feeding my neighbor (not a nice one) a beatiful tea of unknown origins is out? I read to soak the seeds for 24 hours but nothing about sulfuric acid. Where would they get that in the wild? How about ideal place to plant. I understand they like a cooler area to grow. Would morning and noon sun but not afternoon be best?

Reply to
Dana Schultz

Again, I will defer to Dirr as I have no direct experience with this tree:

Reply to
David J Bockman

I started mine in seed beds outside in the fall and they germinated the next spring. They were fresh seeds, I just imitated nautre because they will seed themselves in this area. I am zone 6 Susan

Reply to
concreteangel