kudzu

i live up on a bluff from lake michigan, and would like to get my hands on some KUDZU for stabilization......................i am not having any luck with purchasing through GOOGLE.
anyone?

Gesundheit.
Come on down and load up all you want. It may do fine up there with winters and having it die back etc , but its a major problem in the south. I woul d not wish a stand of kudzu on my worst enemy, well except for one or two perhaps. I had a spot of it starting to grow and and I jumped on it right away once I found it. It toopk almost 5 years of working at it, and now I can safely say I am yet again kudzu free.
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 17:14:40 GMT, "readandpostrosie"

thanks for the offer!
--

"~Roy" < snipped-for-privacy@Invalid.Invalid> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.earthlink.net...

hands on

luck
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 17:14:40 GMT, "readandpostrosie"

Kudzu is a very _bad_ idea.
It's invasive and nearly impossible to kill. Because of its density, it destroys nearly every plant in its path -- including trees -- damaging the local ecosystem in ways that would take decades to restore.
--Nan
On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 17:14:40 GMT, "readandpostrosie"

Anyone in the South would call this crazy. Zudzu grows exceptionally fast, covers street signs, covers homes, and shades/kills trees and bushes. You might consider some other ground cover. Pachysandra should grow well. Other options include grass, lily of the valley,vinca, and a variety of vines. Not sure if kudzu would grow well in Michigan. If it did, you'd regret ever planting it. Roundup does not stop kudzu. BTW, we have zudzu festivals here. It is edible.
Oh yes I would call it crazy for sure. I am in Georgia. We spent our lives pulling it out of everything. PLEASE don't think about planting it. There are other more nature friendly vines you can grow. Google it. Elaine

i will heed everyone's warning and RETHINK this whole thing! thanks!

What's it taste like? (Just curious, hoping the answer is fiddlehead ferns.)
viv
I would be weary of eating any weed from the south--in the Appalachians they have "ramp" festivals where they harvest the wild ramp (a type of leek). The stuff smells when you cook it and makes you smell aweful after eating it. I would worry about the same with Kudzu. :)
vivian wrote:

I would be weary of eating any weed from the south--in the Appalachians they have "ramp" festivals where they harvest the wild ramp (a type of leek). The stuff smells when you cook it and makes you smell awful after eating it. I would worry about the same with Kudzu. :)
vivian wrote:

Vivian oh please,there are some things they eat up North that would make me puck. Cows eat it but it takes two years for them to kill it and it grows to fast. Drink Milk? Here are some recipes for ya'll. :) http://home.att.net/~ejlinton/jelly.html
BTW Kudzu has even made it to New York (probably someone on vacation and decided to take some home?) so if anyone thinks it dies in the winter...it doesn't. The roots are there ready to pop back up next spring. I know when we have had our first frost by when the Kudzu wilts but it is there waiting for the next warm weather to rejuvenate and grow like crazy. Elaine in Ga Zone7

since it's listed as an illegal invasive foreign species, i doubt you *will* find anyplace reputable that will sell you kudzu plants or seed. lee
--
"Fascism would be better described as corporatism,
since it is marriage between the state and business"

Try investigating Crown Vetch. You could also try contacting the local MSU Extension office for your county and see what they would suggest. If you're on the Michigan side of the lake see:
http://www.msue.msu.edu/portal /
For Crown vetch info:
http://web1.msue.msu.edu/imp/modzz/00000425.html
http://www.botany.wisc.edu/wisflora/scripts/detail.asp?SpCode=CORVAR
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

At least it's a legume.
On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:38:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:38:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

Maybe so, but it is still commonly planted as a soil stabilizer. Even by our local government agencies. I suspect if you look around you will still find it being used as such in your area too (shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b