Kiwi questions

We live up in the Seattle area. I have a Kiwi vine that is about 8 years old. For about 2 years, I didn't know what kind of plant it was until one fall, I found a nice fuzzy kiwi on it. I never saw flowers or anything (didn't look close enough I guess). I later found out that there had to be a male around to pollinate it. I found one of my neighbors had a kiwi on the other side of their house, so I guess it got lucky.

I planted a male kiwi last fall and it is growing nicely so I am hoping that maybe even next year it will be able to pollinate the female kiwi. It is about 10-15' from the female.

We decided to move the kiwi because we wanted to expand the vegi garden etc. This was about 3 years ago and has been growing nicely - a lot of vegatation but no kiwis (no noticable flowers). One problem is that it doesn't get as much sun as it did in the original spot. We watched it yesterday (nice sunny day here) and it only gets maybe 2 -3 hours of direct sun in its current spot. The big trees around it have grown more and blocked out the sun. I heard \ read somewhere that the kiwi needs more hours of direct sunlight to get the flowers growing. In the old spot, it got about 4 - 5 hours of sun a day (maybe a bit more) during the summer.

The question - would it be worth the potential shock on the kiwi to move it back to the original spot just to increase the amount of sun it gets in a day from 2-3 to 4 -5+ hrs a day? I moved it 3 years ago and it took off and grew just fine so I think it could survive another move. I did it in the fall \winter so that is when I would move it this time too.

I realize that pruning and fertilizer play a big role in flower\fruit production, so I have been trying to do that "properly". It would just be bad if I was doing the proper pruning and it will never produce because it isn't getting enough sun. On the other hand, I would hate to stress it (and possibly kill it) by moving it when it only needs a couple hours of sun a day to product flowers, and I could be just doing something else wrong.

Any opinions \ ideas on this would be appreciated.

Thanks Darren

Reply to
Darren

Kiwi vines love the shade, they should be just fine where they are.

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

If one wishes ever to have the fruits, they need FULL sun & very regular watering. They will not fruit in the shade. If all one has is a variegated male plant for decorativeness exclusively the shade's as good as anywhere, but for female vines one hopes will produce kiwis, fruiting canes should be trained to remain in arm's reach in full sun.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

How I envy you! I've not been able to get Kiwi to grow at all and I've tried a few times. Had one in a pot for a year before putting it out in the ground - I'd love to be able to grow them on my trellis.

Kim

Reply to
K, T, E & N