kittens, safety, Diatomaceous Earth

Page 1 of 2
With little kittens that are 6 weeks old, how safe is Diatomaceous Earth? I know that Diatomaceous Earth helps get rid of fleas on cats. I'm wondering how safe it is for young kittens. Does anyone know? Where could I find out?
A gardening group is always the best place to find answers to pet questions, isn't it?
Could there possible be another place to find such answers?
If only there was such a thing as a Google search to find out?

It's also a good place to find arrogance as well.
-- Make it just one gnat to email.
JC
Thanks for exposing your pomposity too!!!
Which JC do you think you are? Johnny Carson?

I'm the one that doesn't have much tolerance for belligerant teenagers. PLONK
-- Make it just one gnat to email.
J.C.

I'm the one that doesn't have much tolerance for belligerant teenagers. PLONK
well, you've killfiled not a belligerant teenager as you think you have, but one of our more knowlegable, but curmudgeony characters. Cereus-valadus. His tongue is sharp, his wit is dry and quick, his critical observations don't hold back, and there are some of us who don't let his dark humorous barbs distract us, as his answers of validity regarding horticulture and especially cacti and succulents is most admirable. He's deffinately NOT a teenager.....same as Travis is old enough to be my older brother, but there have been times I've thought Travis was a young guy who was quick to point out my own mistakes on the newsgroup.
You got good info from Victoria (aka Bourne Identity) to visit the site. Frontline works on fleas and ticks. and you got excellent advice from Toni. With all those fleas, the poor kittens will have worms which will weaken them and their immune system. madgardener stepping back behind the Korean Spirea now...................

Well, I'll just have to try to get along without having to read his sharp witicisms.
-- Make it just one gnat to email.
J.C.
You still here, Jumbo Catastrophe?
Have you already finished tormenting kittens?
Do you have an actual garden question or do you want to keep on boasting what a complete fool you can be?

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 18:55:51 GMT, "Cereus-validus......."

Thanks, that was my weekly hysterical belly laugh! Still lauging. I may use that one.
Be careful now, big guy, you don't want to hurt Johnny Cockroach's feelings.
We may never know if it is safe to drown kittens in a swimming pool that is filtered with diatomaceous earth.

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 00:47:46 GMT, "Cereus-validus......."

Wouldn't that be Johnny Cat?
Why would that be Johnny Cat, Mr. Dick Shillelagh?
Wouldn't a dick shillelagh be awkward to use?

I liked Jumbo Catastrophe! Boy did that make me laugh. Not at the guy, I forgot all about him already, but my friend comes up with the most hysterical things. Where DOES he get them from!
I'm honored. I haven't been a belligerent teenager for so long I almost forgot what it was like.
That still doesn't get you off the hook for being an addle-brained fool, Jiminy Cricket!!!
Only a complete imbecile would ask a pet care question in a garden group.
Why don't you be a good Twinkie and go and haunt a group about pets instead, Jolly Cornpone?

If you are concerned I would avoid it or ask your vet before using it.

First, read this: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_org_research.php?idA
Then have your cat spayed for petes sake.

This is only a guess, but I'd say no harm whatsoever, unless they inhale the blowing powder, in which case there may be some risk of kitty silicosis. (Of course, you would also have the possible chance of human silicosis).

DE is safe for getting rid of fleas "on premesis". It should never be *applied on* kittens, cats, dogs, or any other animal. Especially animals who constantly lick themselves. At six weeks just use a mild flea shampoo *formulated for use on kittens*.
With kittens and cats it is vitally important to use only products that specifically state "safe for use on cats and kittens". I would concentrate on cleaning up the premesis, using Frontline on any older animals (like the mother cat) and treating the kittens the moment they are old enough- usually eight weeks unless they are terribly debilitated by flea infestation.
You will of course need to see a vet for your attendant tapeworms. It may take you some time to get these babies back up to good health following such a rocky start.
--
Toni
South Florida USA

chairchair wrote:

Ask your vet. You do have one don't you? You will probably get yelled at for posting an animal question in a garden newsgroup.

USDA Zone 8