"kiss me by the gate"

I am looking for information about a blossoming heirloom shrub that my grandmother called "kiss me by the gate." It has small early spring flowers that are intoxicatingly sweet. I would like to know its formal name, and get some pruning advice. Thanks!

USDA Plant Profile:

polygonum orientale

n : annual with broadly ovate leaves and slender drooping spikes of crimson flowers; southeastern Asia and Australia; naturalized in North America [syn: prince's-feather, princess feather, kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate, prince's-plume, Polygonum orientale]

Reply to
Vox Humana