Killing or Controlling Rose of Sharon??

I have an entire row of ROS between mine and my neighbors house. They are uncontrollable, there are little ones that are invading about 10 feet into my yard, which I mow with the lawn mower every week. Between the bushes I chopped the small ones down with a hedge trimmer. I even cut down a 20 foot row of the biggest ones between my house and the road, with a chainsaw. The other ones I pruned about 80 percent of them away. This was about 2 months ago and the are already growing out of control. If I can't control them, or stop them from invading my grass, how can I kill them? I've thought of burning the damn things down, but I think the local Fire Dept. would frown on a 70 foot wall of fire next to my neighbors house..... Please help..... -- fugateb ------------------------------------------------------------------------ posted via www.GardenBanter.co.uk
Trim them right after flowering and before they go to seed. I still get some seedlings but they are easily hand pulled... My neighbor doesn't trim theirs and they have tons of varying sized ROS shrubs growing all over the place. My ROS are nice, compact and filled in well, they bloom incredibly as well.
Colleen Zone 5 Connectcut.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (GrampysGurl) wrote:

One could also select any of the many sterile Rose of Sharon cultivars to avoid self-seeding.
-paghat the ratgirl

awww but that takes the fun out of it ;o) Colleen zone 5 Connecticut