Killing little tree stumpettes

For pictures and a detailed explaination go to

have several spots where trees have begun to grow between a chain link fence and a wooden privacy fence. They are beginning to be a problem. I have pruned them down but need to kill them. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

Suzie-Q wrote in news:sme617x-5ED67B.18491017022004 @news2.west.earthlink.net:

ha, they look exactly like the stumps at my fence. I threw a bunch of newspapers over mine last year, but I have no idea if they are dead. Too cold and dark right now to check. Sorry.

Disclaimers: About the newspapers ... I never said it was a good idea.

Reply to
Salty Thumb

In the spring, as they start to sprout, PAINT some Roundup on the new green. You may need to repeat at 3-week intervals until they're gone.

Use gloves.

Jim Lewis - snipped-for-privacy@nettally.com - Tallahassee, FL - Only where people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Reply to
Jim Lewis

but one chemical: Magic Stump Remover. There are others. Roundup may or may not work.

I have ordered from Forestry Supply and find their customer care to be quite good.

You should be able to find the needed chemical at any good garden center. If you are in the States, check with your local county agent for more specific info.

Reply to
WiGard

Sue -- It would have been helpful to first identify the species of tree growing.

As much as I hate the use of chemicals in the garden, I have found they are sometimes the only solution when dealing with certain types of trees. :( What I've done with a few problem trees in the past is to cut them low then paint their stumps and any other growth with Round Up and/or Garlon. Cut the trees back in early summer -- that way their root reserves are at their lowest (helps with suckers). In some cases, such as ailanthus altissima (tree of heaven) you REALLY need to keep up on it -- it took me THREE growing seasons to wipe out an ailanthus altissima that took root in one of my beds

Good luck!

Reply to
JNJ

There is a liquid product that you can buy called Brush Killer/Poison Ivy Killer. I forget the exact name but it's close to that.

I had about 6 mature ligustrums that were planted around my well in the front yard. They were about 10 feet tall and 8 feet wide with several trunks. I sawed them down as far as I could - some were about 8" tall. I then drilled holes in the tops of the stumps and poured the liquid directly into the holes. They died and rotted out, so they became easy to remove.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Penny Morgan

I would recommend cutting the little stumpettes down as far as possible, then covering the remainding plant with a thick black tarp (a heavy duty trash bag will work), secure the tarp down with rocks so that no light can get in.

good luck! Heidi

WiGard wrote:

Reply to
Heidi

That doesn't work where the stumps are in the fence.

Sue

Reply to
Suzie-Q

The only way for a "thick black tarp" to work is to first use a backhoe to dig up the roots and then put the "thick black tarp" at the bottom of the hole. Once you are satisfied that the "thick black tarp" has been strategically placed, bury it .

Reply to
WiGard

Ortho Brush-B-Gon, used straight, cut the offending tree/brush as close to the ground as you can get it, paint the FRESHLY cut surface and all exposed bark with the Brush-B-Gon and it'll kill it!

I have elm trees all over this place because they invariably drop their seed when I have dug up soil and they neatly plant themselves everywhere! Along the sidewalks, fences, but everywhere and anywhere, and if it's not elms, it's seed from an UGLY ash.. I think "green" ash from across the street, or maples from wherever. I didn't think anything was going to kill the elms, but this killed 'em first try. I know.. it's not "organic" (technically any carbon based substance is organic.. we're organic!) But I prefer to dab a bit of this stuff onto an offending stump no matter the size, than to spray the diluted stuff around where it can drift and get on other things. Resist the temptation to just pour it over things. That's too much, it will get into your soil.. particularly if you have a lot to do, may do more than you want it to, and no need to use more than just brushing it over the cut surface and exposed bark.. with a disposable brush like are sold by the bundle at hardware stores..cheap. It works, so more is not better ;-)

Janice

Reply to
Janice

you can trim them down.. mix the spray and spray them, or dilute a bit to get them covered. It'll kill 'em.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

I disagree. I was able to kill my stumpettes by the thick black tarp method. We had a red-tipped something or other tree by our porch. We tried to cut it down twice and it grew back quickly, I tried drilling holes in the stump and pouring in the stump kill crystals. No luck, this tree did not want to die. The thick black tarp worked for me w/o digging up the roots. I just covered the stump with the tarp. 2 years later I am still free of that darn tree.

Heidi

WiGard wrote:

Reply to
Heidi