Killing Ivy

Page 2 of 2

It's in NY's Catskills. I do have a good sized veggie garden but with all the rain and chilly weather this year it has been a very bad year, most everything has drowned.

Nice garden shed!
Mike
brooklyn1 wrote:

Why do so many of your posts include personal attacks? Do you enjoy being pointlessly nasty?
David

Wait until a soaking rain and pull out the ivy by hand. I have a pair of leather garden gloves for such occasions. You can also cut the ivy vines near the ground. A different method for poison ivy, though.

We don't know what kind of ivy, the OP didn't say. But most ivy can be lopped off and pulled out by it's roots. However if any part of the root remains it's very likely it will grow back. Poison ivy hates salt, so a handful of rocksalt on the roots will usually do it in permanently without harming nearby trees.
Colin wrote:

Why not just cut through the stems that go up the fruit trees? That is the most simple solution. Severing to its roots will kill it. If the ivy is on wild land it isn't doing much harm to anyone and is an evergreen shelter for wildlife.
You won't easily kill it. The waxy coat one ivy seedlings allows them to resist glyphosate pretty effectively.
Regards, Martin Brown