Keeping dogs from digging in garden.

Page 2 of 2

Granted, but if someone chooses to own a pet which has perhaps a 95% probability of destroying SOMETHING on the property, they may be beyond understanding the need for training. So, around in circles we go. These are people who shouldn't own a dog to begin with (although it's not clear that ANYONE should, but that's another issue entirely).
I put up fences where I didnt want the dogs to go... or dig. but you could use green 2x4" plastic coated fencing down on the ground, then plant thru it, mulch over it. when they start digging they hit the fencing it stops them. Ingrid

I use fences to keep our dogs out of areas of the yard where I don't want them digging. I once knew a dog trainer that recommended burying an inflated balloon in the area where they like to dig. Once the dog finds the balloon, it doesn't feel like digging (at least in that particular area) anymore.

That's
Perry Templeton wrote:

Electric fence charger, a few little posts and insulators, and some electric fence tape or aluminized wire. Here's a model I can recommend: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item824494999
Or look for a battery powered electromechanical one, cuz they don't shock so hard. You should be able to find one at Tractor Supply.
The dogs will hit it one time and be afraid to go near it again for a day or two, then they will get over the fear and go right up close to it again but won't cross it. You won't even have to leave it hooked up all the time.
And give the dogs someplace else where they *can* dig.
Best regards, Bob
"And give the dogs someplace else where they *can* dig."
They can dig just about anywhere. I don't have a problem with that. In fact I think it's funny as to what provokes them to dig "here" or "there" or anywhere for the that matter. Is it just fun? Do they smell some morsel or tidbit that's bound to taste good, if they can only dig to China to get to it? I had some Doggie Deterrent that I used in the front yard to discourage a neighbor's dog from crapping in my flower bed (attached via a leash to the brain dead owner). But the container instructions advised to not use on food plants. Perry

That's

If you ask the owner to NOT let his dog stop on your property and it continues, call the police. It falls under the heading of civil trespass, even if the owner himself never steps foot on your land. They can slap him in handcuffs. Works great, no chemicals to worry about. Sometimes the dog owner will mouth off at the cops, which makes for even MORE fun.
It finally got to the point where I asked the crapping dog's owner (mid squat in the flower bed) "Dude, you pass up an empty lot and EVERY morning your dog craps in my flower bed....why can't you walk slower and the dog can crap in the empty lot?" At verbal confrontation, he started taking a different route. Perry

the

That's
is there any food product or spice your dogs don't like? try chili powder or bitter apple spray. avoid the use of bone meal, blood meal, or manure as fertilizers, dogs love them. offer them their own special place to dig, then train them to dig there. bury treats, bones, toys, and offer lots of praise when they DO dig there. when they dig elsewhere, move them to the good spot, and be ready with the treats when they start their digging there.
you could always fence it off. or supervise your dogs when they're in that part of the yard.
-kelly

That's
Dogs often dig out of boredom. Train the dogs not to dig and/or get them out for exercise and entertainment more often. Electric fences, repellent odours etc etc are likely to be a waste of time.
David