Keeping dogs from digging in garden.

Page 1 of 2
What can I do to keep dogs from digging in small sandy dirt garden? That's safe enough for the dogs and the edible plants... Perry
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:27:58 -0500, "Perry Templeton"

Other than fencing in the garden or keeping Fido on a lead, its gonna be a hard thing to do short of cutting the front paws off!
I have 4 miniature dachshunds, who for the most part are fine, but in a split second can dig out a canyon you could put a car in, while in pursuit of whatever gets their attention. So we have to constantly keep an eye on them when they are out of "thier" yard if we don't want any more trenches and canyons dug. Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Perry,
My sister used coffee grounds to train her dog to stay out of the trash. Seeing as that is something that people sometimes put on their garden anyway, maybe you could give it a try?
Now if only it would work for squirrels, I'd be all set. Yesterday they decided that just digging up the garden wasn't enough and attacked the pots & window boxes I have on the balcony as well. ARGH!!!
LauraJ

blood meal seems to work for the squirrels in wisconsin. Ingrid

unfortunately, most dogs think blood meal is a delicious treat to be licked up out of the ground.
-kelly
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 15:10:12 GMT, "Laura J"

It may be too early to tell but I think I've found a solution for that. I noticed that my squirrelfriends were not digging where I had mulched garden plants with shredded leaves. So I mulched the potted plants with a thick layer of shredded leaves (I have a large supply left from last fall) and the squirrels have left the plants alone since then. It's been over a week with no digging. Let's see how long that lasts! Maybe I'll throw out a handful of peanuts today and see what happens.
Are you referring to YOUR dog, or someone else's?

My terrorists. A Boston and a Rat Terrorist. Perry

Oh well.

terriers are BRED to dig!!
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:02:24 -0500, "Perry Templeton"

((.)) ')) (((((((( ))(/)((
You're all right about the inquisitive and exploring nature of the breed. I just don't want them to be like that in my little vegetable garden! I think there is some grub or something in the dirt, as they always dig in the same exact spot. I wound up putting bricks over the spot where they were digging and it seems to be working. Perry

How about just getting in their faces when they dig in the garden and yelling until they are shaking in fear? I mean, really, what other options do you have which won't be an absurd inconvenience to you? You want a smart pet? Get a chimpanzee.

An electric wire run around the garden beds will keep them from digging in the beds. You'd better give them somewhere else that is "approved" to dig in though, because both of these dogs do that by instinct. Also, only let them out when you are there to supervise them. Otherwise keep them in the house with you or in their crates if they can't be supervised. Lots of structured exercise and obedience training will go a long way into making "terrorists" at least acceptible community citizens as well.
Very simple.
Just have their legs removed!!!

Excellent. And, a Vietnamese acquaintance says dogs are quite tasty. Much more useful as food than for any other known purpose.

But if that occured the only way to exercise them would be to take them for a drag<G>. Yeah, I know terrible humor. And you couldn't name them as it would serve no purpose since they couldn't come when you called them.
On the plus side its good to know that my 2 MinPins are not the only terrorists around. Ours like tomatos and harvest their own when the whim hits so they have their own plants, mine are along side the house where they can't get to them!
Grandpa
Cereus-validus wrote:

"Grandpa" <jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote in message

ROFL! Great humor! I'm sending you a virtual beer. Place your glass on the CD-ROM drawer. Hit CTRL-B to dispense beer.
Perhaps one of those buried electric fences for keeping dogs in the yard. You could just surround all of your planters or gardens with the buring wire, and if the dog crosses over (or even gets too close), they will get a little harmless zap that will make them think twice about entering the garden again. That or a few short lessons with a training (choke) collar can be quite productive. good luck, Matt in MI

LL Bean (and other companies) sell electric collars and remote control zappers for hunters who need to get their dogs to pretend to be smart. Much cheaper than the invisible fence option.

Buying an underground fence or zap collar and just using it without training your dog in what you expect from him can lead to all sorts of behavior problems including aggression. In addition, an underground fence does not protect your dog from roaming dogs or idiot humans like a traditional fence can, and should never ever be used as the sole containment for a dog that is left outdoors unsupervised. Training collars are sophisticated training devices used by professional trainers and dogs who are well beyond attaining several companion dog obedience titles and not negative deterrent ones for common household issues in my dog Spot. Used incorrectly by someone who doesn't know how to train their dog in the first place or won't take the time to do it properly, they are inhumane and can encourage entirely the wrong behavior.
Our Humane Society does not endorse the use of either and we will not adopt to anyone who has only an underground fence as a plan to contain their dog. We DO recommend a simple electric wire fence as it's visible and easily understood by your dog when learning boundaries. After a month of use, you usually don't even have to turn it on again.