Keeping dogs from digging in garden.

What can I do to keep dogs from digging in small sandy dirt garden? That's safe enough for the dogs and the edible plants... Perry

Reply to
Perry Templeton

Other than fencing in the garden or keeping Fido on a lead, its gonna be a hard thing to do short of cutting the front paws off!

I have 4 miniature dachshunds, who for the most part are fine, but in a split second can dig out a canyon you could put a car in, while in pursuit of whatever gets their attention. So we have to constantly keep an eye on them when they are out of "thier" yard if we don't want any more trenches and canyons dug. Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Perry,

My sister used coffee grounds to train her dog to stay out of the trash. Seeing as that is something that people sometimes put on their garden anyway, maybe you could give it a try?

Now if only it would work for squirrels, I'd be all set. Yesterday they decided that just digging up the garden wasn't enough and attacked the pots & window boxes I have on the balcony as well. ARGH!!!

LauraJ

Reply to
Laura J

Are you referring to YOUR dog, or someone else's?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Reply to
Perry Templeton

Oh well.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

An electric wire run around the garden beds will keep them from digging in the beds. You'd better give them somewhere else that is "approved" to dig in though, because both of these dogs do that by instinct. Also, only let them out when you are there to supervise them. Otherwise keep them in the house with you or in their crates if they can't be supervised. Lots of structured exercise and obedience training will go a long way into making "terrorists" at least acceptible community citizens as well.

Reply to
Sunflower

Very simple.

Just have their legs removed!!!

Reply to
Cereus-validus

Excellent. And, a Vietnamese acquaintance says dogs are quite tasty. Much more useful as food than for any other known purpose.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Perhaps one of those buried electric fences for keeping dogs in the yard. You could just surround all of your planters or gardens with the buring wire, and if the dog crosses over (or even gets too close), they will get a little harmless zap that will make them think twice about entering the garden again. That or a few short lessons with a training (choke) collar can be quite productive. good luck, Matt in MI

Reply to
Matt

LL Bean (and other companies) sell electric collars and remote control zappers for hunters who need to get their dogs to pretend to be smart. Much cheaper than the invisible fence option.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

But if that occured the only way to exercise them would be to take them for a drag. Yeah, I know terrible humor. And you couldn't name them as it would serve no purpose since they couldn't come when you called them.

On the plus side its good to know that my 2 MinPins are not the only terrorists around. Ours like tomatos and harvest their own when the whim hits so they have their own plants, mine are along side the house where they can't get to them!

Grandpa

Cereus-validus wrote:

Reply to
Grandpa

And neither work very well without the unspoken secret of "TRAINING". Buying an underground fence or zap collar and just using it without training your dog in what you expect from him can lead to all sorts of behavior problems including aggression. In addition, an underground fence does not protect your dog from roaming dogs or idiot humans like a traditional fence can, and should never ever be used as the sole containment for a dog that is left outdoors unsupervised. Training collars are sophisticated training devices used by professional trainers and dogs who are well beyond attaining several companion dog obedience titles and not negative deterrent ones for common household issues in my dog Spot. Used incorrectly by someone who doesn't know how to train their dog in the first place or won't take the time to do it properly, they are inhumane and can encourage entirely the wrong behavior.

Our Humane Society does not endorse the use of either and we will not adopt to anyone who has only an underground fence as a plan to contain their dog. We DO recommend a simple electric wire fence as it's visible and easily understood by your dog when learning boundaries. After a month of use, you usually don't even have to turn it on again.

Reply to
Sunflower

Granted, but if someone chooses to own a pet which has perhaps a 95% probability of destroying SOMETHING on the property, they may be beyond understanding the need for training. So, around in circles we go. These are people who shouldn't own a dog to begin with (although it's not clear that ANYONE should, but that's another issue entirely).

Reply to
Doug Kanter

ROFL! Great humor! I'm sending you a virtual beer. Place your glass on the CD-ROM drawer. Hit CTRL-B to dispense beer.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

I put up fences where I didnt want the dogs to go... or dig. but you could use green

2x4" plastic coated fenc>What can I do to keep dogs from digging in small sandy dirt garden? That's

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Reply to
Judy Cosler

It may be too early to tell but I think I've found a solution for that. I noticed that my squirrelfriends were not digging where I had mulched garden plants with shredded leaves. So I mulched the potted plants with a thick layer of shredded leaves (I have a large supply left from last fall) and the squirrels have left the plants alone since then. It's been over a week with no digging. Let's see how long that lasts! Maybe I'll throw out a handful of peanuts today and see what happens.

Curly Sue

Reply to
Perry Templeton