Keeping deer out- A stream runs through it

I'm trying to keep deer out of my back yard. I'll probably use a combination of tall fences and low fences depending on the area. But the real dilemma is that I have a small stream (about 10' wide and usually only 12-18" deep) running through the back of my property. Due to erosion through the years, it goes in a very short distance a 1 foot bank to a 5 foot bank. On the far side is a wooded area.I would like to include the area on the house side of the stream in the deer free area.

Question is: What could extend over the stream (and down) that would keep the deer from using it as a passageway? Whatever it is can't be obtrusive and shouldn't catch the debris floating down the stream.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
Doug

The message from "Doug" contains these words:

It's very hard to keep deer out of waterways as they will wade very deep and are confident swimmers. However, you could try what people often use here to stop cattle and sheep using streams as a highway when the water is low in summer. I can't promise it's unobtrusive :-)

It's a sort of floating fence. Planks have a hole drilled in one end, Then a row of them are hung vertically by wire loops to a crosspiece, (so all the planks hang independent of each other). Then the crosspiece is suspended across the stream, maybe from a felled tree (mind it isn't one deer can use as a footbridge) .The plank ends dangle in the water and can rise and fall according to changing depth. Flotsam just passes through.

Janet (Isle of Arran)

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Pet-level electric fence works great on deer.

Reply to
hob

I have no experience of deer but keeping out (in) cattle in this situation is very hard. Anything that is tight enough to contain the beasts is also likely to contain floating debris. In the case where the creek or river changes level very much, such as periodic flooding, it is pretty much mission impossible as the water and debris will remove your fencing regularly.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I have no direct experience of this, but I am assured that the following is a foolproof way to keep deer away.

Apparently they cannot stand the smell of male human urine (from uncastrated men). I've heard that if you have a bunch of men over (to watch a game?) and supply them with beer and then tell them to pee around the boundaries at about waist height you won't see any deer until the next heavy rain.

Depends on whether the neighbors would have a problem with this, I guess.

I'd hate to see you fence that stream. It's like a highway for more wildlife than you know.

Reply to
Sparky Organic

Deer fencing mesh is sold in giant rolls, and small rolls. You can adapt it to just about any configuration and the good part is that it is virtually invisible. Take a look here:

Jangchub

a black bear?

Reply to
readandpostrosie