Keeping cuttings over winter? ? ?

I have rooted a cutting from a golden bark willow, and it's thriving in a small pot out in the yard. It's still a little too small to put in the ground.

But winter is coming, and I don?t know whether I should leave the cutting outside in its pot, or bring it inside.

I guess the question is whether it needs a period of dormancy.

Reply to
Ray

I think the real question is can a tree be too small to survive the winter.

I don't think so.

Lots of tree seedlings survive winters in my experience.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Where are you? What are the temps in your winter? Snow? Rain? Frost?

If any of these is a factor, your little guy might be happier inside. But in that case, if you heat the house, be sure he has enough moisture both in the soil and on the leaves. Is garage a possibility? How cold would it g et?

Good luck!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I won't ask why you don't want to plant it permanently... now is the perfect time. I'd say it's best to temporarilly plant it in the ground outdoors, called "heeling in".

Brooklyn1