Keeping a 3' by 3' square of grass turf alive

Something you completely lack here.

Those of us who get enough oxygen to our brains knew what he meant by 'homesick', and certainly even those with room-temperature IQs got it after he explained above.

Seriously, are you that thick? Or are you completely ignorant of the matter at hand? In which case, why are you responding? I know, I know, because you can.

I'll call you a loon and I don't have half (any, really) the qualifications Bob does. Since you deem yourself worthy to criticize Bob, could you tell us YOUR qualifications in the subject of animal rescue?

(crickets)

What I thought. You ARE a loon.

Reply to
mcarver_99

mcarver snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t2g2000yqt.googlegroups.c om:

at least loons are real. you're only a sock puppet. lee

Reply to
enigma

Yeah, that kinda took me by surprise. I didn't expect quite that reaction from a gardening group, and especially in regard to trying to do some small amount of good in the world.

Anyway, I've sometimes encountered people who sound goofy but eventually end up trying to help, so I try to be cautious. Apparently that's not going to happen here. The guy who got uptight about the Hoho's was pretty funny though. That was excellent.

Thanks for your kind reply, Mc. It does make a difference to hear from the other side, just to know you're out there. There have been a few other good posts in the thread, so there are some new things to . pursue.

Reply to
Bob

If you could properly define "Bleeding heart animal nutter", I would be more likely to know if I am one. Seriously, I don't know what people mean by that. Perhaps you have to be a bit eccentric to go out of your way to help animals and less fortunate people, etc. It's definitely expensive, if that's the bottom line.

Mostly for a couple longer term inmates who aren't likely to be released this summer. Areas won't be used by other animals, and these guys don't have anything communicable. I could go on, but the explanations really do seem over the top.

I'll just say that it's always a tradeoff-- no one can possibly provide a perfect environment. Even the critters' original parks are not a perfect environment. So I weigh the tradeoffs and make the best decisions I can.

That's the current status, though we don't have a lot of potted plants. They limit floor space. Hence the interest in something they could walk on, even if it needs to be swapped out periodically.

Right. And I don't. All animals undergoing antibiotic treatment or with any possibility of contageon are isolated. That's not what we're talking about in this case though.

I do know about immune system differences between subspecies, but I believe you're referring to distance of about a mile or so, right? Which particular immunities are you referring to?

Yeah, that would be nice. Limited access though. That may be a good longer-term goal.

That's the kind of info that I was looking for (though I wouldn't have been considering fescues). I don't deal with reptiles much any more, but that's also good info for those who do.

Reply to
Bob

Hi Kate. Your practical reply kind of caught me by surprise (the thread has taken on a life of its own ).

Yeah, we provide sticks and limbs, and have people pick up driftwood, etc. Their teeth grow constantly, and they need to keep them worn down. A couple of the little guys think they're beavers; amazing how much wood they can chomp through. We also build low structures out of limbs for those who are safe climbing. (Some of the more severe injuries need to be kept in low cages so they can't attempt to climb).

Re the 'mini-lawn': I first tried small test patch of grass, but it probably had too little drainage. Not sure what our supermarkets have, but I'll check that.

The indoor enclosures do have substrates, etc., but I try to take advantage of our summer weather, especially for those who have been cooped up for a while. The natural UV makes a big difference.

Seems like this question is off the beaten path. I suppose that most are more familiar with growing grass lawns, but it occurs to me now that this is relatively specialized. Maybe wishful thinking on my part to be attempting the 'mini-lawn' thing.

Reply to
Bob

Bob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

ok, then, have you tried full spectrum UVB bulbs. i'd think they would help with depression in the patients, and i know that they work pretty well on the plants in my tort pens. i mostly use the CFL UVB bulbs, but you can get tubes as well. i would try getting some heavy duty jelly roll type pans from a kitchen supply (or plastic boot trays maybe?) and punching several drainage holes. if you know a sheet metal worker, you could get actual 3x3 pans made, but jelly roll pans might be as close as commercially available. fill with a sterile medium (even damp paper towels) & sprout rye/wheat grass. those both grow pretty quickly, so you might be wanting to start new trays at least weekly, so you can swap out the too tall or trampled grass.

i'm not much on squirrels, but i've repaired a few raccoon & birds, and a big brown bat with a torn wing (hint: bats do not stay in bird cages ). i'm more into reptile repair myself. it's amazing what a turtle can survive. lee

Reply to
enigma

I'm sorry I don't know a lot about gardening so I can't help you there. I think some of the ideas you have come up with are great and you should try them. Obviously you've already discovered what doesn't work.

I read some of you're other responses. I just wanted you to know that I think it's a great thing what you're doing for the rescued animals.

Reply to
nativo

t2g2000yqt.googlegroups.c

If by sock-puppet you mean that I have any personal relationship with or knowledge of Bob, you are completely wrong. I am a disinterested (regarding Bob and animal rescue) third party, but not disinterested regarding rec.gardens.

The Billdoes have been acting like jerks and/or self-appointed experts for a while now, I figured it was time they got called out. Especially in this thread, where they just made it so EASY, I couldn't resist.

Just so I understand where you're coming from, why are you defending BillBilly in this thread?

Mc,pining for the days when a guy named Bill was one of the most valuable contributors to rec.gardens, not the loons we have today.

Reply to
mcarver_99

Make that 13. What, exactly, is your point?

If you could just lay out your qualifications to lecture someone about animal rescue, we could put this little misunderstanding behind us.

So I ask you directly, AGAIN: what are your qualifications to discuss animal rescue?

Reply to
mcarver_99

Never met a Wild Life Rescue that was a "me" before. If Fish and Game are cool with you, so am I, otherwise the above applies.

Reply to
Billy

Odd, never saw you here before. So what are the odds and the point spread?

Reply to
Billy

That would make him one of our irregulars. Probably eats too many HoHos, and Dingdongs. You are what you eat, sir.

Reply to
Billy

You'll notice Dr. Bob never uses technical words that may normally be used by people in his profession like biome, or the whole Family, Genus, Specie thing, or why say rabies and zoonotics, when just zoonosises covers it all, or calling his wards "inmates"? No, Im afraid that school is out, and we will have adolescents to deal with as well as trolls, who use ad hominem attacks, and invectives for arguments.

Reply to
Billy

Billy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.ne t.au:

really? most of the ones i know of out here are individuals, with the exception of the song bird rescue in ME, & even they farm out the birds to volunteers. most rescues have limited space here *because* they are private individuals, & most specialize (like the bat rehabber in the next town. only bat rehab in 3 states around). lee

Reply to
enigma

Hi Bob,

I understand your desire to make life better for them. I volunteered at a wildlife rehab several years back and would take in herbs and greens and carrot greens from my yard for the bunnies and gathered sticks and limbs for the squirrels. I work in dog rescue now and am always trying to come up with ways to make the dogs lives better while they're with us.

I don't know about lawns but as others have said, rye is a quick growing grass and oats grow quickly too. There are short variety carrots that would grow in a 6 inch deep planter, maybe made of peat.

The wheat grass is usually found in the produce section, I think, for people who drink it or something. I've bought it once for a cat - the peat pot it was in wasn't heavy enough for the cat grazing and I repotted into a clay pot.

Good luck, have fun and thanks for doing what you do.

Kate

Reply to
kate

Volunteers, yes. But Dr. Bob didn't give the feeling of being a competent saw-bones. Our bird rescue is a group affair (a friend worked there), with it's own site. Animal rescue, sets bones, and treats burns before releasing animals to volunteers. We only have one bat lady. Saw her give a presentation once. Wildlife rescue is not my strongest subject.

I tie my dogs in the truck to a central point on a rope that goes from side to side of my truck. The snap that is connected to both their tethers rotates so that the dogs don't get wrapped around each other. Five years ago, or so, a lady stopped me in the parking lot of a grocery store, and told me that the set up was dangerous for the dogs. I tried to re-assure her that it was fine, but she kept insisting it was dangerous. She wasn't trying to give me a bad time. She was concerned for my dogs welfare. I thanked her for her concern, and wished her a Merry Christmas (it was late Dec.). When she started in again, I just thanked her again for her concern, and again wished her a Merry Christmas. After a couple of more times, she gave up and walked away. If Dr. Bob was for real, he would contact the zoology dept. at a college, a biologist at a local high school, or alt.med.veterinary for his information. He wouldn't be asking gardeners with no expertise in animal rehabilitation, which he apparently doesn't have either.

I think I used up my two cents;o)

Reply to
Billy

Clearly.

How antiquated - having your dogs tied up in the back of your truck. I guess if you get in an accident, their necks will just break as opposed to being thrown from the bed.

Been to alt.vet.med recently? Dead newsgroup. And why would he ask a question about growing grass there?

I apologize for responding in the manner you often do, but why assume the worst from everyone you don't know who posts here?

Usenet used to be a place where if you were sitting at your computer and had a question you could find a group that could offer you ideas. If it's your intent to wreck rec.gardens, congrats - you'e doing a bang up job.

Yes, lovely attack as usual.

Kate - apologies to the group. Long day.

Reply to
kate

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 15:23:13 -0700 (PDT), mcarver snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com spuked forth:

innews: snipped-for-privacy@t2g2000yqt.googlegroups.c

Uhhh, did you ever consider that perhaps they *do* know things...perhaps things that many others do *not* know? Obviously things you do not understand, as your denigration demonstrates.

Oh I cannot resist either.... your words serve to indicate your bog irish ancestory. Someone drags a tater thru rec gardens and you pounce.

Who the fsck cares what you understand, as you have already indicated that you understand little.

This is yet another of the lame threads showing here recently and the lame posters spewing forth.

McCharlie, just another mick bastard, with pretty good lineage

Reply to
Charlie

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 21:48:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@notme.com spuked forth:

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Billy wrote in news:wildbilly- snipped-for-privacy@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au:

No kidding. But that hasn't stopped you from being a horse's a$$ to Bob, about something you know nothing.

How about this line of thought "hmmm, here's a line of inquiry I know nothing about. How about I shut up?" Does that ever go through your head?

More conjecturing, or as I say in another post, more of your talking out your a$$. You don't know jack about animal rescue, but you know how someone should go about doing it.

He's asking about growing grass you moron! Is he going to ask "the zoology dept. at a college, a biologist at a local high school, or alt.med.veterinary" ABOUT GROWING GRASS?!?!

You've already said you know squat about animal rescue. Now, could you tell us why that qualifies you to lecture/question Bob?

I know, I know, because you're a jerk with a keyboard.

Here we could have have a nice little OT thread about animal rescue, we could all have learned something, but instead we have this pissing contest. I'm as guilty of that IN THIS THREAD as you, but I waded in because this has become standard behavior for you and you needed to be slapped.

You are a net minus for this newsgroup. Any positive stuff you contribute are outweighed by the invective, the "I'm right you're an idiot", and the willingness to argue (not discuss) stuff you know nothing about. Like animal rescue.

Reply to
Mc