Kaffir Lily

Page 3 of 4
contains these

next
own
Well said.
My personal bugbear is the use of 'coloured' as an p.c. alternative to 'black'. Coloured is a blanket term for anyone who isn't white so its labelling someone by what they're not. If I was black I'd rather be called black than 'not white'. I guess black people generally feel the same which is why there are MOBO awards and not MOCO awards.
And some people just go stupid. Do you remember the primary scholl which banned 'baa baa black sheep' as being racially offensive?
--
Martin & Anna Sykes
snipped-for-privacy@sykesm.xglobalnetx.co.uk ( Remove x's when replying )

Some time ago, a customer laid into a local supermarket manager about the use of the term 'black pepper' !!!!!!!!
When I lived in Jamaica in the late sixties, people of my skin colour were referred to as pigs. Or, more accurately, 'pork men'. But we didn't get all upset . . . we just accepted it.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

I disagree it is worthy of being anyone's bugbear, but the use of "colored" is a good example of why one shouldn't attempt a universal PC language that attempts to ban or promote words on the basis of how they are used on completely different continents. In many parts of the world "coloured" actually means mixed race, & would exclude black per se; elsewhere it means East Indians as distinct from black or white; but in the US it is an old-fashioned word which was once the "correct" term of alleged politeness -- but which black folk pretty jettisoned decades ago in favor of Black or African American, though the NAACP was sort of stuck with it by then. If there are black folk on another continent who would today LIKE to be called "coloured" I never heard about that, but it's an old Dick Gregory joke that white people should be called the Colorlesses.
In any case, Colored means totally different things in different countries, just as kaffir means a beautiful flower to American gardeners, no matter how it would be used by some dumbass ugly Dutch bastards rejected by their own actual homeland as just too skanky. Isn't it nice that honkys care enough to even think about it though.
-paghat the ratgirl
dumbass ugly Dutch bastards
Oh come on!

Be careful - Martin Sykes wasn't involved. Anyway, "kaffir" in Africa was never as offensive a word as it is made out to be by the Politically Correct in Europe. Its origin is Arabic, by way of Swahili, and simply means "unbeliever", though it was used to mean "the blacks" by "the whites". Strictly, both are kaffirs.
Anyway, if you want to wind up the more informed of the Politically Correct, use the term "munt" - they will go through the roof. But all it means is "man" in a generic Bantu language. Ch'bemba, the Bemba language, M'Bemba, a Bemba person.
Regards, Nick Maclaren.

I don't know who wrote the phrase I left in.
What I do feel is that what that phrase says is at least as offensive as what the writer is objecting to.
The Fisher family is the only true English (whatever that means) family in this street. We're not the only white family but that doesn't seem to matter to the poster I replied to.
We've lived in this street for over forty years. We have non-English (whatever that means) members of the family.
I believe that referring to anyone as the poster I replied to did is as offensive as the poster suggested was referring to Kaffirs, as I understood the post. The poster laid him/herself wide open by saying that.
That was my point, I should have made it more clearly.
It's a very silly subject for a thread and I shan't contribute to it any more.
Mary
<SNIP>

Yes, but ask yourself - have you ever actually met someone who is actually black? The term is a collective approximation for a range of people with skin colours which can vary from ivory through to very dark brown.
I personally do not like to describe people by a colour. Rightly or wrongly, I am a bit uncomfortable with it. If I have to make any reference, I generally try to describe in terms of geographical origin.
At least in the USA (and I thought here), I understood the term "Coloured" was *not* politically correct...
Regards
Martin
(Pasty faced newbie gardener).

Also "honky white trash" should be changed to "honky pink trash."
-paghat the ratgirl
message contains these

people and

they are

of
then next

their own

think of to

are
posts.
some
on
agree
that
Thanks for injecting some good sense into this thread.
Franz

relevant to

with
buying the

time
Balderdash and cease top posting if you insist on being considerate.
Franz

excuses
the
modern
may
insulting
Hurrah!
Mary

And "bugger" derives from the word from Bulgarian (it really does)
:L
--
Remover the rock from the email address

"cretin" to

someone
I was so sceptical that I cracked my OED. Bugger me, you are right.
Franz

Posted previously.
" I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" W.C. Fields
I am sure that no one feels inferior. Accordingly, no name used can offend in anyway. To assume I would be upset would also presume my inferiority~~that I would resent [or represent] but not be annoyed. Unless, of course, there might be some pecuniary advantage! Best Wishes~~ Limey

May I use my 'Spade' for digging or must I call it my 'bloody shovel'? Either way my 'Dutch Hoe ' can get her own breakfast tomorrow!! Best Wishes

Rubbish.
I suppose we then also ought not to talk about boerewors either Or murphies Or sauerkraut Or a Hottentotsgod (Praying mantis) Or Boesmanboude (Gibbaeum sp., esp nebrownii) And the Kaffir beer brewed by my father was a superb drink. Or Frogs legs Stuff political correctness and replace it by intelligent understanding and respect
Franz

I've heard "Franz" used as an insult against Germans. "Saluted your furer lately, FRAAAANZ?" Only by illiterate dirtbags who never heard of Kafka of course. Still, just to be on the safe side so everyone is nice & polite, I vote we ban the name Franz.
-paghat the ratgirl
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 23:17:23 GMT, "Cereus-validus"

Who's program, yours? Will you sit on the tribunal that passes judgement on all others? Will you be the one that decides what is hateful and what isn't? Not it I can help it.
Swyck
In our village we have some muleatoes

" I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" W.C. Fields

offensive