Kaffir Lily

Rappelez-vous, il insulte seulement si vous savez ce que signifie il, ma tte de mule. Heureusement, vous pas, mais pourquoi vous gardez sortir de votre manire de juger et s'offenser est au del de moi.
Traduit d'anglais-franais par les poissons de Babel.
Voil, c'est la bouteille l'encre:
Erzrzore, vg'f bayl vafhygvat vs lbh xabj jung vg zrnaf. Sbeghangryl, lbh qba'g, ohg jul lbh xrrc tbvat bhg bs lbhe jnl gb gel naq bssraq lbhefrys vf orlbaq zr.

Nu, tbbq byr EBG13. V qb fcrnx gung! <T>
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

bu ab! zl frperg pbqr unf orra oebxra! cyrnfr gryy zr gurpvn.arg vf gur phyvanel vafgvghgr bs nzrevpn, fb V jvyy abg unir gb fxvc gur pbhagel!

Lbhe frperg vf fnsr jvgu zr!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Abg jvgu zr gubhtu. Fraq cvrf, be V gnyx.
anet

Qeng! Fnygl, jr'ir orra bhggrq!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

qba'g jbeel, bapr fur trgf n gnfgr bs bar bs zl cvrf, fur'yy unir bgure guvatf gb jbeel nobhg :-)
expounded:

V hetr lbh gb erpbafvqre. Boivbhfyl lbh ner abg snzvyvne jvgu zl sbbq cercnengvba fxvyyf, bgurejvfr lbh jbhyq abg or nfxvat zr gb fzhttyr jrncbaf bs zbhgu qrfgehpgvba bhg bs gur pbhagel.

Unu, fb lbh'er gur crefba erfcbafvoyr sbe zl oebxra svyyvat :-(
Janet
On 4/5/04 4:21 PM, in article c4sf4o$2mkqpq$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-63726.news.uni-berlin.de,

My point is, that it would be polite for Darren to show a little care for the feelings of other posters than himself; even if they live somewhere else.
For the record, I am offended by the use of racist slurs.
Janet.
This is a most interesting discussion. Would the following phrase be offensive: "That's like the pot calling the kettle Black"

Yes it is very offensive. Pot does not go with kettles. Try to put pot and kettle together and pretty soon you'll hear such like 'Dude, what the hell are you doing?' or 'Doris, get my bong'.
You should say, "That's similar to the mildly hallucinogenic controlled substance referring to the metallic cooking paraphenalia as completely absorptive of visible electromagnetic radiation"

Nah, the Quebec City politicos need us maudites ttes carres. We save them the trouble of having to actually find something important to blather on about :-)
BP
Gee Broccoli, you mean we are forced to include someone like yourself that isn't of the human race too?
contains these words:

It is amazing how such a topic reveals who are the bigoted racists among us and the clueless sycophants that empower them.
A truly enlightened individual would have admitted that such racist plant names are offensive, vow never to use them again and enlighten other not to use them.
Instead we actually have had several who vainly try to justify lame excuses to continue to use racist and hateful names for plants. Such names spoil the garden of delights for the enjoyment others and have no place in the modern garden. There is not enough shame for these misguided trolls who continue to perpetuate hate and trick other into doing so in such subtle ways as using hateful names for plants.
It doesn't matter whether those who are insulted are aware they are. One may have the momentary feeling of superiority in knowing that they are insulting someone without their immediately be aware of it but the other person will eventually find out and still be hurt by such things. You should consider the feelings of others as you would want others consider yours. Isn't that the "golden rule" anyway?
Maybe the only way to get the message across is by refusing to deal with those nurseries who perpetuate hateful names of plants and not buying the garden books that do the same? Its a new millennium and its about time everyone finally got with the program.

[...]
Balderdash!
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
"Maybe the only way to get the message across is by refusing to deal with those nurseries who perpetuate hateful names of plants and not buying the garden books that do the same? Its a new millennium and its about time everyone finally got with the program."

Cereus-validus wrote "The last paragraph of my posting is the one that should be most relevant to you in particular, David.
"Maybe the only way to get the message across is by refusing to deal with those nurseries who perpetuate hateful names of plants and not buying the garden books that do the same? Its a new millennium and its about time everyone finally got with the program."
I doubt if even you can find an offensive name amongst any of the dahlias in my catalogue.
And I would refer you to what you say in para. 4
"It doesn't matter whether those who are insulted are aware they are. One may have the momentary feeling of superiority in knowing that they are insulting someone without their immediately be aware of it but the other person will eventually find out and still be hurt by such things. You should consider the feelings of others as you would want others consider yours. Isn't that the "golden rule" anyway?
You really should keep this in mind when you start insulting people and calling them names etc as you so often do. Is it this "momentary feeling of superiority in knowing that they are insulting someone " that gives you such a kick?
You so often exhibit a great knowledge of plants, and a great use of reference material in how you answer many questions raised here, then next minute you're like a 10 year old in the playground who cant get their own way and who dredges up all the insults and foul words they can think of to vent their pent up anger. So why not consider other peoples feelings and practice what you are preaching, and consider peoples feelings in future.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

The OP's been in my killfile for a long time so I don't see his posts.
'Kaffir' is a perfectly proper name for several indiginous tribes of South Africa (inc the Xhosa) and just because the word is abused by some as a blanket term of contempt for any black African it doesn't make 'Kaffir' an offensive word per se. It reflects on the misusers, not on the perceived target, just the same as other abusers of nationalities/communities/ethnic groups such as Jew, Arab, Bohemian, French (screwdriver), Dutch (courage) don't make the use of these nationalities offensive.
It's the intent behind the use of a word which is important, not its political correctness to well-meaning fools.
If a 'Kaffir lily' were the name for something obnoxious, I would agree that it was an offensive name. Since it isn't, I can only assume that the OP is trolling as usual.
--
Rusty