Kaffir Lily

Page 1 of 4
Nice pic Wendy Here in the UK kaffir lily is the name given to Schizostylis, see http://www.floralimages.co.uk/pic1b4.htm
It seems as if you also call Clivia miniata kaffir lily in the US,see http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/7025/clivia.html
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
"...........I'm not surprised that you still are using the highly offensive racist name for the plants ..........."
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...with the names you use at times????
Yes there is a lot of political correctness gone mad.I believe that you still talk about "Black berries", Here some of the Politically correct brigade insist that they be referred to now as "Bramble fruit". Short people are "Vertically challenged" People with a disability are not disabled they are "Differently able." And it goes on and on
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

these unrelated groups, but I'll post this article I found anyway:

(snip)
Probably few people outside kaffirdom know who kaffirs are--or were. zemedelec
from snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) contains these words:

(snip) That may be true in America, where only a small proportion of the population ever leaves its own continent; it certainly isn't in Britain (or any of the continents we occupied more recently).
"Kaffir" as a derogatory term, was seeded over half the world by British Colonials and the British Army. There are still enough white Brits using it that way to ensure that all black Brits are well aware of the insult.
Janet.
I think this says it all..........
During the 1990's a former UK officer serving with the Bermuda constabulary for a number of years was accused of calling a black officer a 'kaffer'.
The allegation was treated seriously and instead of dealing with the issue by way of discipline, the officer found himself summonsed to appear at Magistrate's court in Hamilton, Bermuda for an offence of 'insulting words and / or behaviour'.
One questions whether the UK officer could have been treated fairly; the matter was investigated and considered by the prosecution service. No one, when handling what was a career destroying allegation against the former UK officer, could find in his favour, the matter progressed to Court. What could the prosecution team do, call the black officer a liar?
As is the way in Court proceedings, the prosecution put their case at the Magistrates Court. The evidence against the officer was the word of the person he allegedly called 'kaffer'; a fellow serving officer. The evidence was given and apart from refute the allegation and stress that the words were never uttered, what could the officer, or his defence counsel, do?
Before the black officer, making the allegation, was released (allowed to leave the witness box) the Judge put a question to him:
"officer, what do you understand the term 'kaffir' to mean"
The reply from the black officer:
"I don't know what it means"
Case dismissed.
If you do not know what something means then they cannot cause you offence, the offence is not complete
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
David Hill wrote:

The solution is so obvious. We should *educate* people about all the words in common usage that they should be offended by. The more arcane the word is, the better -- that way we get to show off how educated and clever (and therefore superior) we are.
Best regards, Bob
paghat wrote:

personal
like
say
Words are nothing but letters or sounds put together, depending on whether you're writing or speaking. In and of themselves, those letters or sounds are not offensive alone or together. Context makes them offensive.
There is the context of the writer or speaker, and the context of the reader or listener involved here. Some people are so offended when they read or hear particular words that they can't or won't consider the context of the writer or speaker.
My personal opinion is that our problems, in order of severity and importantance are: 1. Writers/speakers who intend their words to be offensive in context, 2. Readers/listeners who are so offended by particular words that they don't consider the writer/speaker's context, 3. Readers/listeners who misinterpret the writer/speaker's context, 4. Writers/speakers who don't take reasonable care to see that their context is not easily misinterpreted to be offensive, 5. Writers/speakers and readers/listeners who aren't even aware that they words could be offensive in certain contexts.
Unfortunately too many people focus on the least severe and important situation. That means either the more severe and important issues have been resolved (ha!), or they have nothing better to do than raise hell. (Or perhaps they're not equipped to handle the more important issues, and draw attention away from their inabilities by making such a big deal over the less important issues.)
But it all still comes down to context. Words are just letters or sounds. Context gives those words meaning. It is only once they have meaning that they can be offensive.
--
Warren H.

==========

Cleaned up so as to not offend thin-skinned morons.
Thanks Janet. Actually I thought the kaffirs were the native-born whites, like Afrikaaners. The Middle East and Central/Eastern Europe are more my territory for unusual ethnic names (Quick: where can you find a Rusyn? Not a Russian, a Rusyn. zemedelec
Reading the above, the only conclusion I've managed to reach is that anyone offended by any name must have a severe inferiority complex. Others seem to imply "Complex be damned"!! As a long serving member of the RWAFF [Royal West African Frontier Force] on the Gold Coast,[now Ghana] I accumulated numerous derogatory names, many quite true, but none that could possibly have annoyed or offended me in any way. I cannot even think of any term I would find offensive, true or not!! Calling me an 'organic gardener' might imply some degree of unmerited ignorance however. Best Wishes

like
territory
Russian, a

This is an international newsgroup with contributors from other countries and many races.
Janet
Janet Baraclough.. wrote:

But what is your point? No one here has said they were personally offended, only *vicariously* offended. Not one single Bantu has spoken up on this issue.
People in Quebec City find the entire English language offensive. Maybe we should switch to French to avoid offending their sensibilities.
Sincrement, Bob
contains these words:

Oui, je suis entirement d'accord. Merci beaucoup, mon biscuit du fouet.
Salty Thumb wrote:
> Oui, je suis entirement d'accord. Merci beaucoup, mon biscuit du fouet.
You are welcome. Your cookie what?
Mit freundlichen Gren, Bob

ich sage nicht. die Wrter kann sein anstig (???)
:-)

Again, thanks to Babelfish, we know that this means, in English,
"I legend not. the words can be anstoessig"
:-)

According to the miracles of www.altavista.com 's Babblefish, this means "Yes, I agree entirely. Thank you very much, my biscuit of the whip".
Sounds violent and/or kinky to me.

l'ordinateur ne pige pas, ma andouille, mais il est trs poli. comprenez-vous? mais non.
Lisez: il y a 10 (oui 10) genres de personnes dans le monde, ceux qui comprennent numeration binaire et ceux qui ne comprennent pas.
pigez-vous?
Vous es un sac de merde.
zut! peut-tre l'ordinateur comprend. Ribbit!

Aaaaand, the http://babelfish.altavista.com/ translation:
the computer measuring rod not, my andouille, but it is very polished. do you include/understand? but not. Read: there are 10 (yes 10) kinds of people in the world, those which include/understand binary numeration and those which do not include/understand. do you pigez? You be a bag of shit. zut! perhaps the computer includes/understands. Ribbit!