Juniper or Yew Berries - What Do They Need to Germinate?

I would like to propagate some of the evergreen bushes around my house for replacement purposes. They have a bunch of little red berries on them, which obviously are the normal "seed" but I haven't had any luck getting new plants from berries.
I tried planting some last year in a peat/soil mix, and didn't get a single sprout. What do they want to germinate? Digested by a bird? Burnt by a forest fire? More to the point, what can I do to make them grow?
Or should I try cuttings? Someone loan me a clue?

A brief Google shows that juiper seed germination is very poor. Here's something about cuttings that looks good at first glance.
http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/pnw0152/pnw0152.html
Hint: when looking for "how to grow" something, good results can usually be had by trying
plantname germination plantname cultivation plantname reproduction
or even
"how to grow plantname"