Joshua Trees and sun orientation

I make note of the sun orientation ob our Japanese Maples. Buried in this URL I found the below quote.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-09-29/pentagon-losing-control-of-bo mbs-to-china-s-monopoly.html
Joshua Trees
The trees, protected under California law, will be given new homes after their precise positions are measured with compasses. Their bark burns in the desert sun without the right orientation. Even so, only 20 percent of replanted trees survive, Benfield said.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI