Joint compound as fertilizer/conditioner

(snip)

I should have, I thought about it, but couldn't decide where to snip, what to leave in, so I just reposted the whole thing.

I'll try to find some examples to follow.

Reply to
Charles

Charles

Sorry. I am glad I asked. I misread your statement. Question: Is Epson Salts a good supply for magnesium? Thanks.

Reply to
symplastless

Fungi can absorb energy sources such as carbohydrates. Plants cannot do so. Fungi can absorb nutrients. Nutrients are substances that contain an energy source, elements, and other substances in types and amounts that are essential for a healthy life. You can give a fungus a nutrient in the dark and it will thrive. You can give a plant a nutrient in the dark and it will die. Plants require light energy from the sun to "make" glucose from carbon - dioxide and water. The process is called photosynthesis. When you call fertilizers or nutrients food for trees and other plants it shows you are ignorant of photosynthesis. many people obviously do not understand plants. Sad, very sad.

Foods are substances that contain an energy source mostly, and may contain some elements, and other substances. The main part of food is the energy source. There are junk foods, fatty foods, and healthy foods. There are many diet books telling you about healthy foods. Animals can absorb an energy source. Plants cannot absorb an energy source. fertilizers are not plant foods. Fertilizers provide elements essential for growth of plants. The elements are part of salts, usually, that ionize in water. Ions are charged particles; anions, negative, and cations, positive. Plants "make" carbohydrates by trapping the light energy of the sun in a process called photosynthesis. Sad that so many people who work with plants do not know this. They call fertilizers plant food. very sad.

Reply to
symplastless

Yes. It also might be useful to break up a clay soil, but gypsum, calcium sulfate, is usually recommended. Too much magnesium can be bad, like too much of anything. I use a tablespoon in water, once a year, per rose bush.

Reply to
Charles

beware of so called tree biologist that have never studied biology.

Reply to
Don Staples

I do not know who you are referring too. Myself, I am an arborist who has studied tree biology. My resume is here:

claim is that I have completed what is mentioned in my resume. No more no less.

I am a self taught tree biologist. I for my thesis wrote a paper on what logging is.

used reviewed published data in US Forest Service Docs and others for the latter.

To help other people understand basic tree biology I or shall I was we, wrote a Tree Biology Dictionary. Its free.

Here is the address:

Other than that I do not understand what or who you are refering too.

Reply to
symplastless

Correction

My RESUME is here:

symplastless

Don In your words What is a food? A nutrient? A fertilizer?

Did you write a dictionary? If not why not.

Reply to
symplastless

Don I went to you web site and you have a section called What is a Consulting Forester

Well, where is your definition?

Reply to
symplastless

We believe that ownership of land automatically enrolls you in the stewardship of the Earth and that each land owner has the right to manage their property to the best of their own interest. They also have the obligation to maintain the property for the benefit of generations to come. The Chinese have a saying that "The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step", in land management the journey begins with nothing more complicated than the step of establishment of goals and methodology to reach those goals. To that end Staples Forestry, as well as other professionals in the field, encourage land owners to take that step necessary to implement practices to optimize the land potential in methods suited to their needs and abilities. It may be as simple as routine inspections of the property for insects or disease, or as complex as a full stand conversion to a more productive cover of the land. Regardless of the goal, the first step is to look at your land as an investment in the future and then set about to earn the most from your investment.

Don, all you are talking about is cutting the wood out? What about tree biology?

See:

symplastless

That last clip was from Dons web page at:

We believe that ownership of land automatically enrolls you in the

Reply to
symplastless

Don Staples writes: At

and restoration. There comes a time when nature just does not cooperate with the best of management efforts. At that time you may have to salvage whats left, and start anew. Salvage is a very different sales effort for forest products. Usually, the sales material is damaged, dead, or dying. Finding a market for this material can be tricky, and incomes low. But, best to move the material, get it out of the way for future work. Take what income you can from the salvage, and set it aside for planting the site.

Restoration can mean a lot of work, depending on what caused the initial damage. It may include dirt work to reshape an area, control burning to remove the remaining dead material and for site prep, and of course replanting

The cost would be based on the nature of the work, including outside assistance from vendors.

What about Tree Biology Don??????????????????????????

Reply to
symplastless

fungi cannot absorb "carbohydrates", it needs to be broken down outside of them into building blocks and they can absorb "sugars" across their cell membranes, across their hyphae. bacteria are the same in that they secrete substances that break down "food" into building blocks that can be absorbed.

many bacteria extract their energy from chemicals,like the chemilithotrophs found at the bottom of sulfur vents deep in the ocean.

plants gain their energy from the sun, which is hardly a "nutrient" by your definition. the solar energy is, in the end, trapped in the covalent bonds between chemicals, like ATP, glucose, starches and cellulose.

elements and molecules are the basis of all organic and inorganic molecules. nutrient is anything needed by a biologic system.

n Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:11:54 -0400, "symplastless" wrote:

Reply to
dr-solo

"symplastless" expounded:

Please take your little war out of rec.gardens. We don't care.

Reply to
Ann

Apparently, your reading comprehension is still lacking.

Beware so called Tree Biologist who have never studied biology.

Reply to
Don Staples

If I needed a tree biologist, I would hire one, fortunately, there is no such a critter, so I don't hire one.

You still lack reading comprehension. Forestry is not about a single tree biology, it is about an environmental community. Like humans, they get out of whack, and can be brought back.

Beware a so called tree biologist that has never studied biology.

Reply to
D. Staples

You should care, that a so called tree biologist fraud posts here.

Reply to
D. Staples

"D. Staples" expounded:

I don't pay the slightest attention to him other than to post corrections when he veers into areas I am more knowledgable.

Reply to
Ann

Staples has an ego problem that precludes civility.

Reply to
Billy

Only with ass holes, like you.

Reply to