Joe Pye Weed on Culvert Side?

Page 1 of 2
Yet more research for the coming season and yard improvements. :)
I'm trying to decide just what I can plant on the side of the drainage culverts that run along the side and back of my property. The wonders of living on the skits of a subdivision development.
Anyway, I was thinking maybe removing some of the rubble rock and planting Joe Pye weed planted every so often along the ditch, which is 6' deep and 6' wide with about a 45 degree pitch.
Currently there is a crappy looking grass that grows in the area, along with some other weedy flowers and the only good thing, some morning glory.
Area gets full sun and is fair moisture wise during normal season weather.
So you think it would do well there and be able to choke out some of the grass and other junk? Or do you think I should look in other directions.
Zone 6b Kentucky, 12" or less of decent soil before solid clay... ;)
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 23:11:00 -0600, Scott Hildenbrand

I've used Rosemary as a ground cover, it works best with a lot of neglect. I'd chose one of the low growing kind.
Charles wrote:

Something like this?
http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.com/productdescrip/Rosemarinus_Pros.html
Seems like a good option if it's all that thick and should smoother the tall grasses that are currently cropping up.
I've also got two things of Russian Sage in pots that I'm trying to figure out what the heck to do with. Hmmm.. Keeping those closer to the house.. ;)
Charles wrote:

Whoops.. Never mind on the Rosemary.. Don't see any that are 6B hardy.
On 11/6/07 12:11 AM, in article CHSXi.16953$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net,

I'd add a little variety. I have "iron weed" ( a taller Joe Pye), Queen of the Prairie and Golden Glow mixed together. The three do a fair job of ground cover and look good mixed.
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

That sounds like a nice idea.. LAH had said about using day lilies which I may do in some lighter problem areas, but some of the culvert (at corners and joints) is rubble rock from top to bottom.. Wanted something a bit more beefy there which is why I'm looking at Joe Pye.
Not sure where to pick up some many varieties, Lowes had one kind before end of season which I failed to jot down the name of. Any suggestions?
On 11/6/07 9:18 AM, in article VI_Xi.17154$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net,

Talk to me in the spring and we'll figure out what I got that works for you! C
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Thanks alot Cheryl.. Really appreciate it.. :)
On 11/6/07 10:21 AM, in article dE%Xi.17228$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews5.bellsouth.net,

Given the time of year, you might find some ornamental grasses CHEAP. Those, as long as they aren't runners, stay contained and discourage weedy grasses. And look nice into the winter.

In addition to the other suggestions, you might want to plant some day lilies, especially the old variety commonly know as ditch lilies. As the name implies, they are hardy and seem to love that kind of environment.
LAH wrote:

On this note, the guy I get my lilies from said I could have all the kwanzaas that I want. Guessing it's the same thing, tall field lily type with a double or triple bloom pattern.
He considers them worthless and has thousands bordering the property.. Maybe I'll raid his supply. :)
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

I think you need to wait for at least one full seasonal cycle in order to ascertain how much water flows in that ditch during wet spells... those rocks and that tough crappy grass/weeds can well be what keeps you from having a huge erosion disaster... I wouldn't go digging in that ditch until you see what's what, doesn't take but a small shovel full to seed a full blown erosion.
Sheldon wrote:

I've already seen what it takes and I'm not thinking of removing the rocks.. ;)
Unlike those who want to flatten the land I'm fine with it where it is, but by golly it will look better than it does right now.
Anyway, at the most it sees 1/3rd capacity.
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:

Just in case anyone is bored and wants to see the weedy mess which I'm talking about, here's a couple of pics.
http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/landscape-woes /
There's only 2 things I want to rescue out of here.. There's a small evergreen ground cover that someone put in which is being choked out, and an annual flowering vine whos name escapes me at this very moment..
I'll be collecting the seeds from the vine soon so I can put them along the new fence by the drive.
On 11/7/07 1:19 PM, in article 5lnYi.16818$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net,

A really low grower?

Have fun!
I understand why you want to "improve it"
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I took several new pics and uploaded them to the same location.
This is the unknown: http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/landscape-woes/gallery/unknown_evergreen.php
The vine I just remembered is a Cypress Vine, red.
Also started my plant wish-list so I can keep track of all these darn plants that I stumble on and love the look of.. :)
http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/plant-wish-list/gallery /
Anyway, it really does need improved.. It is just a ditch, but that doesn't mean it has to be ugly.
On 11/7/07 4:52 PM, in article BsqYi.16904$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net,

Looks like a juniper of some sort. Boring, may not be worth rescuing.

Be careful with the crown vetch - it's a spreader. Looks great along a road, but might be a bit of a thug.
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

LOL.. Ok, so it IS a bit boring, but eh, I'll give it a shot before deciding to put it to death.
As for the crown vetch, actually I was thinking of putting it beside the road to grow in a shallow ditch there so I don't have to mess with it.. Or is it invasive enough that a mower won't knock it in line?
On Nov 7, 1:19?pm, Scott Hildenbrand

I'm sure it doesn't look like that from spring through early fall. Even if you repopulate with other diciduous plants it will look exactly the same this time of year, brown! Were it me, and you're lucky enough not to have deer, I'd leave what's there and and plant the edge with interesting shrubs and specimen trees, evergreens would be nice You have two other choices, leave it as is for attracting the wildlife you will enjoy all winter, or straddle the ditch with a wide mower and give it a rough haircut so it won't be so conspicuous. Another choice (if there is a natural water flow) is to create a pond... or the illusion of water with a bridge and perhaps span the ditch with a gazebo.
Sheldon wrote:

You're right.. It's actually a weedy green color before it turns a weedy brown color..

True, but it'd look a heck of alot better during the rest of the year.

What's wrong with deer? I happen to love having them come through the yard when ever they like. As for an edge, ewww.. I dislike the manicured look of a row of hedges.
Whole point of removing the useless grasses and weeds and planting other things is to attract more birds and butterflies. Not have pretty bushes and trees... Besides, I've already got trees close to the ditch, my huge pecan, black walnut and plums.

Wild grasses do little to attract wildlife beyond acting as a shelter which other plants can do better.

At 6'x6' wide straddling with a mower is a psychotic idea. Not to mention that the 6' width is minimum as parts are 8 to 10'.

Storm runoff only.

As stated in the post, the ditch borders my property. Thus I do not have land rights to the whole thing else I'd be happily slapping up a bridge or two and making the whole thing more interesting..
Just dealing with what's been dealt and working on my side.