Joe Pye weed

My chocolate JPw is turning yellow and wilting. Can I cut it way back now and still have blooms in fall? Any other ideas. Thanks so much.
Em
In Maryland, border of Zones 6 and 7, I prune my JP weed back by about half in June. The plant doesn't seem to mind and I get shorter growth and smaller flowers by late August.
Rob.

back now and still have blooms in fall?
Thanks for your reply.Next year i'll cut them back in June. They looked so bad I cut them back yesterday. I guess no blooms this year. Or maybe late blooms. We'll see what happens.
Em