Jeyes Fluid??

I remember my grandad had a beautiful garden, and always seemed to be using "Jeyes Fluid". At least once a year EVERYTHING got done (soil as well). How much should I dilute it to be safe but still effective! Thank you. Maria.

The proper dilution rate is on the package. One Web source suggested 1 ml of Jeyes per 1 Liter of water.
Jeyes is potent stuff and can cause damage if misused. It is essentially tar derivatives diluted in neutral oil and is a strong disinfectant.
J. Del Col
On 15 Apr 2004 07:47:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mail.ab.edu (J. Del Col) wrote:

tar derivatives?!! Sounds like Dandruff shampoo ;-)
Must be a UK product? Never hoid of it.. or anything like it.
Janice
This is a little OT but Jeyes fluid figures in the most recent PD James novel, The Murder Room. One of the characters is out in the potting shed disenfecting pots and Dalgliesh, the detective is sent into a reverie from the smell about how he helped the family gardener disinfect pots when he was a boy. Must be strong stuff. I use a 10 percent bleach solution myself.
mm

Similar US products might be phenol based products such as Lysol or Lestoil.
J. Del Col

Yep, correct on both counts. Phenol based disinfectant used in the UK and Europe since your grampa was a lad.
-- Gerry www.garden-guide.net ... for responsible gardening

Indeed. Jeyes Ltd. first formulated its product in 1877 out of creosote, phenols, rosin and caustic soda. I don't think the formula has changed since. Jeyes Fluid is one of the many products derived from the vast quantities of coal tar left over from the production of town gas.
It seems EU labeling rules have caused some problems for Jeyes lately.
J. Del Col

Look at << www.mphs.org.uk >> It has dilution rates for Jeyes under the category "sterilisers."
There are different rates for different purposes.
J. Del Col