jasmine tree: how hardy

my wife saw a jasmine tree at a local supermarket. I have been trying to tell her that it wasn't a good idea, since we live in St Louis (zone = 6b I believe). However, she keeps seeing the tree (which presumably should tell her that it is not a good idea, since it doesn't seem to sell) and bringing up the subject.

I did some research and couldn't find much data. How large does it grow ? How hardy exactly-that is, which temperature would kill it? Would it work to put it in a pot so we can put it in the house during winter ? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
fred

There are a number of plants that pass under the common name of jasmine, but most tend to be vining rather than tree form, although they typically are supported in their pots by some sort of canes and could look somewhat tree-like. With the exception of winter jasmine, Jasminum nudicale, none will be hardy in zone 6 and very few are hardy below zone 8.

You can certainly grow it outdoors in a container for the summer and move it into the house for winter protection. Most types of jasmine like rich soil, regular watering (evenly moist soil - not allowed to dry out) and in a container, would benefit from a monthly application of dilute liquid fertilizer during the growing season. They will need bright light, but direct sunlight may be too intense. In winter, place where they will receive bright, indirect light and water very sparingly but don't allow to dry completely.

More specific information would depend on exactly what type of jasmine this is - any way for you to find out?

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal