Japanese Snowball Viburnum plicatum help needed

I have a Viburnum plicatum that I bought in 2004. It grew from around a single "trunk" a foot or so tall to several "trunks" around 4 feet tall last year, but I decided that I needed to move it because it was on a part of my property that floods to maybe 6 inches depth during heavy rain and takes days for the water to drain away. During such a rain last week, I waded out in the calf deep water and dug up the plant in a lump of mud, but unfortunately I cut back the roots pretty bad in the process. When I replanted it, the leaves started drooping badly. I cut off maybe 75% of the leaves to cut down on the amount of water the plant needs, but the remaining leaves still droop. One rainy morning this week, the leaves did perk back up, but later in the day they began to droop again, so I know that, at least then, it wasn't dead yet. I've been keeping the plant watered, and as I've said, I removed around 75% of the leaves, but I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to try to help the plant survive. Should I cut back the "trunks" by a couple of feet?

Reply to
Darren Garrison

Keep it watered but don't drown it again. I will probably make it.

Reply to
Travis

"trunk" a foot or so

needed to move it

during heavy rain and

out in the calf deep

roots pretty bad in

off maybe 75% of the

leaves still droop.

they began to droop

the plant watered, and

anything else I can

couple of feet?

When a plant does that during the day, but perks up when it cools down, it actually wilting as a way of protecting itself, so to speak. I have healthy brugmansia's and during the day they wilt, somewhat. I do water them, but they preserve the water in the cells by wilting. Keep it watered and what you can do is buy some liquid seaweed, follow the label directions for transplant shock, or for transplant or just how to use it and water the shrub about once a week with that application. It will encourage roots to grow faster than if you don't use it.

Victoria

Reply to
Bourne Identity