Japanese Maple tree meets Round-Up weed killer

Hi all -

I made a pretty bad error the other day when I pulled an unlabeled container from the garage that I thought contained a bug controlling soap solution. Instead, I pulled the container with a Round-Up solution in it and proceeded to "protect" my poor Jap. Maple tree. I'm such an idiot and feel so bad about this...at least as bad as you can feel for a tree.

It's not dead (many branches are, though), but new leaves are coming in that appear to be mutated...much smaller than normal and odd-shaped. Very strange looking.

Does anyone know if there's any chance of it returning to normal next season? Or should I put it out of its misery and plant a new one?

Reply to
Kel

I've seen trees come back from round-up applications because it takes more than application to kill large plants such as trees. But it can take awhile for the tree to over come the damage, two to three years plus.

Reply to
<yourbuster

It realy depends on the dillution and how much you sprayed on the tree. Woody plants require a much higher rate than herbaceous weeds to really kill(close to

10% solution). It will take a week or two before you really see the effects. On a side note, leaving unlabeled pesticides in your shed is totally irresponsible, but thats just my opinion :)

Toad

Reply to
Marley1372

I agree toad, so it's not just your opinion.

Glad to hear that they can come back over time.