Japanese Maple Sapling

We have a neighbor who has a J. Maple. Every Spring we get volunteers spawned from it. We have one about 12 inches tall now in the ground.

Will it survive the Virginia winter, or should we pot it and bring it inside? Anything special we need to do? Thanks for any advice?

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Move it away from the parent plant and leave it out side.

Bill who looks for fine leaf and maybe green.

William Wagner

Proper planting and suggestions for the care of your tree. This I can offer.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere

up "Tree Planting"
-
Look up "Mulch"

Pruning (we suggest to wait until the following year to prune the tree after transplanting. do prune the roots. With sharp bypass pruners just take about a half inch off the woody roots. This will help stimulate callus which is meristematic. Roots do not have buds. They grow from meristematic points and meristematic tissues such as in the callus that will form after you prune the roots correctly. The way you prune a woody root differs greatly than the targets that are desired in pruning stems.

(See A Touch of Chemistry)
you have a group of trees here are suggestions on the benefits of wood for the system. Mulch comes in many gradations.
- Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Consulting Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless