Japanese Maple Question....

Hello!

I'm told that my Japanese Maple tree is worth quite a bit of money - it's about 25 ft tall (I'm guessing) and on my property in New Jersey.

Would anyone know if this is true, and if so, what it is worth?

Here are a few pics:

help would be great!

I'm told a Japanese Maple of this size is EXTREMELY rare these days although I personally don't know that much about it aside from trying to find another one this size seems impossible around here!

Thanks!

Reply to
Project903

Page not found

Reply to
Toni

I dunno about Jersey, but here in SC there are guys that propagate them in thier backyards........kinda like a backyard nursey going on. I know one guy in particular that sells Jap. Maples (red) out of the back of his pickup for 10.00 each. They are only around 4 foot tall maybe 5 ft. They sell them by the hundreds at the flea markets on weekends. I have heard of bigger ones going for 200.00 retail though.

Reply to
Colt Steele

The website didn't work so I couldn't look at your tree. If you're looking to sell your big tree for big buckeroos, forget it. It can cost a couple thousand dollars to get a mature Japanese maple moved from one yard to another, but the profit for doing it goes to the person who has the equipment to lift it safely out of the ground & move it somewhere else & hopefully guarantee it'll still be alive a year later rather than instantly killed by the move.

Most people would prefer a container-grown specimen because it will not undergo root-damage to transplant; a mature container-grown tree can cost a great deal of money, but lots of them are available because they are essentially ornamental production-trees with many growers developing many specimens.

Another factor on the value of a Japanese maple is rarity of the cultivar. Most large Japanese maples are going to be common ones like Bloodgood or Atropurpurea, so no extra rarity value tagged on.

But if you just wanted to feel like you had a valuable tree in your yard, then sure, you do, but it's not like some automobile to be shuffled from owner to owner. It goes with the house, & fine ornamental trees add value to a house.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

This link works much better.

Tennessee Tony

I'm told that my Japanese Maple tree is worth quite a bit of money - it's about 25 ft tall (I'm guessing) and on my property in New Jersey.

Would anyone know if this is true, and if so, what it is worth?

Here are a few pics:

help would be great!

I'm told a Japanese Maple of this size is EXTREMELY rare these days although I personally don't know that much about it aside from trying to find another one this size seems impossible around here!

Thanks!

Reply to
presley

I agree. The value of trees in a back yard is quite different than those in a ready-to-sell nursery. I had a number of huge old black walnuts in my back yard, and was repeatedly told they were valuable for the wood. However, the expense of cutting the trees properly and removing the wood would have been $500+ each.

Reply to
Frogleg