Japanese maple nurseries in LA?

Hi all,

Are there any good Japanese maple nurseries in the Los Angeles area? Aside from the usual stuff you find at OSH, Lowe's, etc.? I've visited the nurseries on Sawtelle in West LA but turned up the same stuff you get at the chains (Bloodgood, Seiryu, Sango kaku, Filligree, Crimson Queen, etc.). I'm looking for the more special(?) cultivars like Sazanami, Tama hime, etc.

Thanks,

Layne

Reply to
Layne

There are quite a number of excellent J. maple nurseries located in the more northerly parts of the state, including Mountain Maples in the Mendocino area (one of the best in the country). I'd suspect that nurseries featuring J maples, specially less common cultivars, are not nearly as common in LA or the southern counties, as with the exception of coastal areas, the climate is not very accommodating for these trees. Too hot and too dry.

FWIW, north central Oregon has probably the largest selection of commercial Japanese maple growers of anywhere in the country. The mild climate and considerable rainfall provide ideal growing conditions.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Hi Pam,

I thought as much. :-( I guess I will have to plan a day trip or weekend trip up state.

Thanks,

Layne

Reply to
Layne