Japanese Maple Losing it's Leaves

Hello,
I have a 20yr old Bloodgood, Japanese Maple that has begun losing all of it's leaves. We had a late frost here, early May and I'm wondering if that may be the problem. We are also having drought conditions for this early in the year. I gave the tree a good soaking as soon as I saw it's condition but I fear it may not survive. If it is from the frost, will the leaves return? Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank You

this
the
Sound like the same conditions we have been experiencing in SW Ohio. My Bloodgood JM is doing well despite the erratic temps and dry conditions. It is so dry here that my sedum autumn joy (yes, I know it isn't sedum) wilted yesterday.
If it is from frost, I think the leaves will return. Any signs of anthracnose? I doubt that would cause a sudden drop of leaves, but the stress of what ever caused the problem may set the stage for anthracnose.
its too early for maple anthracnose, and the japanese maples dont typically become infected. The fact that the leaves are falling off and not hanging on is a good sign. It is probably frost damage. If you see leaves wilting and not falling off, it may be verticillium, which is a fungal disease common to japanese maple.
toad
Yes, if there was a severe spring frost in April or May as the leaf-buds are opening, a Japanese maple can become denuded. If frost is the cause, & the tree was not already stressed, it should bounce back in time. Trees can also lose all their leaves if not watered during a drought. Maples almost always have some "emergency buds" held back for just such emergencies, so it should produce some leaves pretty soon, & though looking thin for the year will be fine next spring. The double whammy of a drought AND frost could have killed it outright, you'll know if it produces no leaves at all this year.
Never fertilize a stressed tree, you'll make it worse. While it is stressed it will be more susceptible to disease or insect attack, so keep an eye on it.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html