Japanese Maple Advice?

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone might have some wisdom for me regarding a poor lone Japanese Maple in a pot? I inherited it when I moved into this house as the previous tenants have left it behind. Poor thing has one rickety "stem," about 8 leaves, and just looks awful. What can I do for it? I was thinking of planting it in the ground, although I've never planted one before. Any ideas or special recommendations for me before I launch into a google research expedition? Thanks!
~Lilly
"I am not afraid. As a matter of fact, this is one of the more pleasant evenings I have spent in the catacombs." -Jeanne St. Remy de Valois-
Choose a site with sun, add some compost to your soil and plant. Try not to move it once established.
Here's some info: http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modop/00000018.html http://www.japanesemaples.com/information/care.shtml
On 9 Jun 2004 20:44:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Pen) wrote:

Thanks, appreciated! ~Lilly
"I am not afraid. As a matter of fact, this is one of the more pleasant evenings I have spent in the catacombs." -Jeanne St. Remy de Valois-
it depends on your zone. here in zone 5 my palmatum dissectum maple is thriving in a pot altho the roots are down thru the bottom and into the soil I am sure. it is on the north side of a little sitting area where it is protected from strong winds and strong sun. http://puregold.aquaria.net/landscape/sit/sit.htm shows a picture (Late May 2004 - the Virginia creeper is taking over) is the label on the pic. .. just to the right of my little dog. That maple really has a hissy fit if not watered properly. the ends get crispy. Ingrid

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 05:02:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

Sorry, should have said zone 8, pacific northwest. This one just looks bad, maybe it's the pot, the pot size, or the soil, I dunno. I've never had one before, so I have no experience or "feel" for this tree yet, happy to have it though. Thanks for the advice! ~Lilly
"I am not afraid. As a matter of fact, this is one of the more pleasant evenings I have spent in the catacombs." -Jeanne St. Remy de Valois-
actually, I did get a second lime green Japanese maple and it started going black at the tips, looked like fireblight. I was terrified it would infect the one I had already so i took it back and got my money back. Ingrid

I'm not an expert, but I'd think the plant is so stressed that maybe you should wait a while and try to nurse it back to health in the pot first before planting or repotting as doing such puts stress on the already stressed plant.
Layne

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 06:39:41 -0700, Layne <> wrote:

Good point. Maybe I'll do whatever I need to do once it goes dormant, whenever that is, lol. Ack. ~Lilly
"I am not afraid. As a matter of fact, this is one of the more pleasant evenings I have spent in the catacombs." -Jeanne St. Remy de Valois-
Hi Lilly,
The following links might help:
These are very good forums for maples only. http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s '9701ee529883e2dfc255217d10e45b&daysprune=&f=9
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/jgard /
Some info on Japanese maple care:
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/gardengary/gg217.html
http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jhtml?type=content&id=channel174243&catid t382
http://www.treehelp.com/trees/maple/maple-iandd.asp
http://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/p414anthracnosemaple.html
http://www.mountainmaples.com/WS4D_Cookie=6.13.04_00,51,54_5/articles.html
Good luck,
Layne

- Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests are like genealogists: We know our roots!